Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 what school did u learn turing in?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Vincent Massey baby!

w00t
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

alright martin... we know that Vincent Massey is the only school in Canada with a compsci program...

as for C++... it HAS to be tought for atleast a year (or 2 semesters). Heck, seriosly. If you dont understand programming at all, why continue beyond grade 10? If you mastered turing (or w/e entry language) in grade 10, you shouldnt have a problem with C++.

C++ is soo widely used in the field, that you HAVE to know it. And now with C# out, its even better then Java Very Happy
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Blade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea... its cool, i been doin turing for 2 months, then my teacher puts me in java and i start C++ next year... wierd eh? ... i hope i find C++ easy since i'll have a pretty good grip on java... damn everything happening so fast..
BlAcK TuRtLe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I live in Sault Ste Marie and go to Saint Basils or SBSS. The way we do it here is I'm pretty sure
10-Turing with alot of flow charts/algorithms junk
11-I think is Java and VB
12 is C++.

I'm in 10 now and we just started pixel graphics and I'm getting it pretty good.[/list]
Catalyst

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well my school is screwed over....

there are too many stupid kids taking comp sci, i had gr10 turing last semester and we didnt even get to file i/o
Asok

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it's ok catalyst, my moronic school didn't get to that either Rolling Eyes
Catalyst

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the main thing that bothers me is that of the 30 kids who took it, 15 didnt know what the hell they were doing and wont sign up for the gr 11 course, which grounds my hope that theyll bring back the gr12 course
Asok

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well isn't the reason they discontinued your grade 12 course was due to lack of interest?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what they should atleast do, is give you a credit for independant study.

such as by the end of the year, you show a program you made to compsci 11 teacher and you get compsci 12 credit. I mean come on, you need the credit to major in compsci @ university. Its not fair for Catalyst to not get the credit.

such as next year I'll be the only one taking compsci AP and its going to be mostly independant study on my own time.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Catalyst

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ill see if i can do sometihng like that
Asok

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I would try that but apparently a Half-Life mod doesn't count even though there is MASSIVE code (not to mention hungarian notation... stupid Valve)
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i go to milliken (crap skool in markham) but our comp sci curriclum is messed the f**k up righ now...

it used to b: 10- turing
11- turing/java (i think)
12- c++

but now the gr 10's r learnin VB which is unfair cus the stuff theyre doin looks so much cooler den turing and now my class (gr 11) isnt learning java until next year which would then leave no time for c++ (and thats the language i really wanted to learn)... ontario skool system really doesnt kno wat theyre doin Confused
yuethomas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In my honest opinion, it makes no sense to study Java before C++, especially if you're going to teach both.

But well... if you study Java, you pick up C++, PHP, Perl, etc. easily.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

my guess here is because ministry of education works with HoltSoft to determine its curriculum... then since Tom West is on crack anyway it tells schools to run it on their own... I suppose in a way it depends on the teacher teaching it (like in my school...)

this means a lot of students a f*ck*d because of it...

Maybe we should start a petition on getting some control over compsci education in this country? Very Happy I donno if 200 members would mean anything... but if half of us get half of kids in our classes to sign... we can get... 100*(average half of the class = 10) = 1000 signatures Very Happy

the point is, if we all get together, we can make ourselves heard. Tell me what you think, personally I think that government has no idea what its doing and that screws a lot of students over.
Asok

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

won't work Sad I hate to not be optomistic here, but I have come to relise petitions mean nothing as far as bringing change is concerned and it becomes a waste of time and effort...

but then again... so is turing Wink
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 7  [ 92 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: