Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 A Note-Taking Program
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:13 pm   Post subject: A Note-Taking Program

This is a personal project I've been working on for a bit. The end goal is to have a program that'll store and sort all my notes and give me the ability to add, remove, edit, search and view these notes.

I've got a decent bit done so far. A lot of the GUI is done, the database is working, notes can be added to the database, and you can sort the table by 4 out of 5 planned categories. The search and view functionality still need to be added.

I'm looking for feedback before I get too far into this though. This is the first java program that I've made using layout managers. Before, I've always taken the easy way and set hard coordinates for my components. I want to know if the way I'm doing it is correct. All the GUI stuff is in one class, I'm not sure if this is a good way to organize it. Should I be trying to give each form it's own class?

Also, I've never used git/Github before. I can't imagine I'm doing it too wrong, but I am having a problem where I have an old artifact stuck in my repository. I renamed the project early on, and now I have a folder in the repository with the old project name and old source files. If anyone could help me in removing that, that would be great Razz

TLDR; I made this thing, I have a couple specific questions (bolded) and any general feedback on the program would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Github Link: https://github.com/NATHAN4/Note-Manager
(Open NoteSystem, not the other one)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:50 am   Post subject: RE:A Note-Taking Program

create a README.md file to introduce the project https://help.github.com/articles/github-flavored-markdown/

git rm to remove content http://git-scm.com/docs/git-rm

Quote:

Should I be trying to give each form it's own class?

It's a design decision; you are trying to make the project easier to work with.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:56 pm   Post subject: RE:A Note-Taking Program

Thanks for the pointers, I've created a readme in my repository and I've removed my artifacts as well. I attempted to move all the JDialogs into separate classes and I like the feel and organization of the project a lot better.

Any other advice/comments would be appreciated!
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: