Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Typing in front of cursor
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Raknarg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:27 pm   Post subject: Typing in front of cursor

Hey, is there a keyboard shortcut or something to make it so when I type my cursor stays in the same spot instead of moving? Like you have backspace and delete do things in the opposite direction, is there a general shortcut to say "put this character/tab/space in front of the cursor instead"?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:56 pm   Post subject: RE:Typing in front of cursor

The 'insert' key does something like this.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Typing in front of cursor

The problem is that it replaces characters, whereas I still want to insert characters, but retain my cursors position.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Typing in front of cursor

Are you trying to do this in some sort of program? If so, you could move the caret back one and then enter your character.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:47 pm   Post subject: RE:Typing in front of cursor

not a program.A key shortcut to use while typing.
Dreadnought

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:29 am   Post subject: Re: Typing in front of cursor

So are you trying to type backwards (i.e. caret is stationary relative to the characters to its right), or insert text at a position one character to the left of the caret (i.e. caret is stationary to the characters to its left)?

In the first case: Why?

In the second case: Nathan's suggestion is probably your best bet (it won't cost you more key presses than any shortcut).

edit: spelling
Raknarg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:32 am   Post subject: RE:Typing in front of cursor

The first case, because I've noticed that in programming and other situations sometimes I have to do a lot of insertions on a lot of lines, especially things that are justbone character or a tab. So instead of having to do a down left a down left a down left, I do a down a down a down a down. If I do it fast, the first method is error prone unless im perfect with my timing.
Dreadnought

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Typing in front of cursor

Ah I see. Well, your text editor might have some sort of feature where you can place multiple carets at once, you could try to find out. Unfortunately, I don't know of any other awy of accomplishing what you want. Sorry about that.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:28 pm   Post subject: Re: Typing in front of cursor

Dreadnought @ Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:11 pm wrote:
your text editor might have some sort of feature where you can place multiple carets at once

This.

The use case of a single character is very specific. I've seen some editors support this. Search & Replace (possibly regex based) might also be appropriate.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: