Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 what compiler do you use?
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Blade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:15 am   Post subject: what compiler do you use?

i use dev-cpp... and its a piecee of crap, i need a new one, so can anyone reccomend one? ya'll are prolly wondering why i say this. well i was doing some windows api programming and it kept compiling it wrong. i would add in my window in the program and it would compile it wrong so i when i ran it only the window was there with thee dos prompt open behind it. it compiled properly on my friends comp (with a different compilier - cant remember what it was)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:12 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I like VC++ 8)
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Blade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:25 am   Post subject: Re: what compiler do you use?

Blade wrote:
i use dev-cpp... and its a piecee of crap, i need a new one, so can anyone reccomend one? ya'll are prolly wondering why i say this. well i was doing some windows api programming and it kept compiling it wrong. i would add in my menu in the program and it would compile it wrong so i when i ran it only the window was there with thee dos prompt open behind it. it compiled properly on my friends comp (with a different compilier - cant remember what it was)
Catalyst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i like dev c++
the console thing can be changed in the project options menu
krishon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

whoa..crazy avatar catalyst
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i use VC++, because I um...."bought it" Razz
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i have used a hole buch of difrent ones. out of all of them i liked vc++ the best, lots of options and few wired linker errors.

dev-c++ was not bad but i also had a lot of problems when compiling. one of the good things about dev c++ is that i think it has a dos griafickes libiray included with it.

the worest one i have ever used whould be a complty dos only one my old school used. it whould crash all the time and take the computer with it Confused
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I say VC++ is better also since most libraries and tutorials are based on it and it's more standard and also because of extra features that it has...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
UBC_Wiskatos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Homer_simpson wrote:
I say VC++ is better also since most libraries and tutorials are based on it and it's more standard and also because of extra features that it has...

GCC is more standardised than Visual C++ 6, although .NET is catching up. Personally, I use Visual C++ 6, although I have used GCC and Borland in the past.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

GC++ and its crappy rhide editor
made about 200 C++ programs on it now.
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

on the windows platform... VC++/Dotnet are the Standards..

but on other unix/linux platforms it usually is g++/gcc that are the standard compilers..

now if ur writing crossplatform apps.. i think g++ is the obvious choice.. else just use the m$ stuff
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i am a bit sick and tired of microsoft. i hate it when everytime i make a small program i have to get all these additional files and folders. so i am sticking to GCC on the windows platform
jonos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

where would i be able to get gcc/gc++ because i can't find it anywhere
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

jonos wrote:
where would i be able to get gcc/gc++ because i can't find it anywhere

dev-c++ comes with it, if you don't already have MinGW (minimalist GNU for Windows) installed.

Also, I couldn't agree more than GCC is a better alternative to VC++ 6. 6 is horrible about implementing the C++ standard. Templates won't work right, it'll let you get away with bad things regarding the std namespace, and it has buggy IO libraries.
jonos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i like dev-c++ cause its free and simple, blah blah blah. i also have um bought "" vc++ but i don't like it as much, as well i am um buying"" the borland enterprise one so i haven't tried that one yet.
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: