Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 so how did you guys do on this years CCC?
Index -> Contests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Chimaera

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wow....i really don't understand how some people had such a hard time with S4, S4 was really easy. There were 3 things to do, declare the 7 variables, they even gave em to you, sx, sz, sy and tx,ty,ty and distance between your current position and the desired destination. The last variable, you had to figure out yourself the distance formula for. Then you would get the values for sx, sz, sy, tx, tz, ty from user. After getting the values, then you would loop a get for 2 things, an integer value for the distance travelled and the string value for Up, Down, Left, Right. Then depending on whether it was left/right, up/down, you add or subtract to the tx, tz, ty variables, also add in the elsif condition of invalid input. I just followed the input format of the sample input and output format of sample output. The hardest part about the whole problem was the distance formula. Probably the 1st or 2nd most straight forward problem there was in the whole senior problem set. But S1, whoooo.....now that's a question I totally didn't understand.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wow... s4 is not easy, u dont even understand how the question works... its not lattice points...
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

StrikerMagazine - the questions did have a new style to them, its not just you Rolling Eyes

and damn... I should have probably been working on S4 instead of S3 Confused

Chimaera - S1's really confusing... well, the way they ask it... I was just sitting there for the first like 5 minutes of the contest going "wtf? am I high? how come I'm not getting the first question??"

solution is simple though - just check if all 3 words have the same first or last letter Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Chimaera

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

w/e dodge, how is it NOT lattice points? It was a 3d system where there was an x, y, z coordinates. Explain yourself when you say that, instead of just saying that I'm wrong.

ps. ty tony for clearing S1 for me, I would never have thought of it that way, props for figuring it out. In terms of difficulty, I'd probably have to say S5 was the toughest one of them all, but to each his own.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

actually dodge, I finished J1 - 4 in 7 minutes, lol, mis-reported my time by 3 whole minutes.

anyways, I was trying forever for J5, took me at least 30 something minutes to understand what it's asking for. Then I was like, hey wouldn't this be fun if I used whatdotcolor? Of course, I sat next to dodge, so he was like Do it! Do it! So I tried with whatdotcolor, except abstract whatdotcolor, I made my own drawfill functions, abstract whatdotcolor functions and everything. As you could see, it didn't work.So then I went back and started over. So there is still 2 hours something left, I forgot about the orientation of the boxes and stuff, so I went back and did that. took some time, blah blah blah, brain got jumbled up, starts to hardcode with 1 hour left. Should have just hardcoded it from the beginning.
Brightguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:33 pm   Post subject: Re: so how did you guys do on this years CCC?

tony wrote:
solution is simple though - just check if all 3 words have the same first or last letter Laughing

Tony, I'm not sure I understand this - is it really that easy? You're saying that if all three words have the same first or last letter, then the collection of words is not fix-free (i.e. one word is the prefix/suffix of another word)?

But even if both the first and last letters of all three words are the same, that doesn't necessarily mean that one word is the prefix/suffix of another word. For example, take the collection of words:

aba
abba
abbba

Each word has the same first and last letter, but no word is the prefix/suffix of another word. Thus, the collection of words is fix-free.
nate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

For the J5 question it was a bitch i had over 1.5 hours remaining and i spent most of that time understanding it like Asn_S. I still don't really understand this part

code:

turns to

***   *********   ***  <- I don't understand how theses end parts came to be.  on either side.

Could someone explain try to explain this?

Thanks
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Brightguy - the question says that a part of the word can be made into prefix/suffix... such as for word "cat", "c", "ca" and "cat" are different prefixes... notice that all 3 prefexis have the same first letter "c"... that's what you're checking for.

in your example all 3 words have a common prefix(and suffix in this case) of "a"
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Brightguy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:06 am   Post subject: Re: so how did you guys do on this years CCC?

A collection of words is prefix-free if no word is a prefix of any other word.

In my example:
-Prefixes of the first word: "aba", "ab", "a".
-Prefixes of the second word: "abba", "abb", "ab", "a".
-Prefixes of the last word would be: "abbba", "abbb", "abb", "ab", "a".

Yes, some of the prefixes of the words are the same, but the question is asking if a word in the collection is a prefix of another word. Not if the prefixes of two words are the same. In my example above none of the prefixes are the same as another word in the collection.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:47 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:

word

ohhh Surprised don't I feel like an idiot now Rolling Eyes Rereading the question again after being told repeatedly that I'm doing the wrong thing helps... Confused

their "cat" = "c", "ca", "cat" example threw me off Rolling Eyes

solution is still simple though, you just pick a word of the least length and check if other two begin with it.
code:

if smallword = word2(1..length(smallword)) and smallword - word3(1..length(smallword)) then

result "word is not prefix free"
end if

same way for the suffix part Rolling Eyes
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:17 am   Post subject: In response to nate.

Please forgive the crude animation, it is 1/4 past 5 in the morn.

This is what question j5 is asking for, i think. I've colour coded the parts of the square which get reflected. green is diagonal and dark blue is horizontal/vertical.

if a further explanation is needed, msg me.

-bunny

-----

(reflections from the 1/3-2/3 point in the shape)

fraxplan.swf
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.89 KB
 Viewed:  2540 Time(s)

zylum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

damn, i screwed up for S3... i did think that they would assign values to the cells by referencing upcoming cells that dont have a value yet but will if you finish the loop... DAMN!!! anyways if you want a working answer to the spread sheet, here's an updated version of mine which... damn, an extra 5 lines would have given me perfect on S3!!! im so dumb

code:

var file : int
var fileName : string := "s3.4.data"
open : file, fileName, get
var cellValue : array 1 .. 10, 1 .. 9 of string
for i : 1 .. 10
    for j : 1 .. 9
        cellValue (i, j) := "-1"
    end for
end for

var location : array 1 .. 10, 1 .. 9 of string
var value : int
var addValue : int

for a : 1 .. 90
    for row : 1 .. 10
        for col : 1 .. 9
            if a = 1 then
                get : file, location (row, col)
            end if
            if strintok (location (row, col)) then
                cellValue (row, col) := location (row, col)
            else
                value := 0
                addValue := 1
                for i : 1 .. length (location (row, col)) by 3
                    if strint (cellValue ((ord (location (row, col) (i)) - 64), strint (location (row, col) (i + 1)))) > -1 then
                        if addValue = 1 then
                            value += strint (cellValue ((ord (location (row, col) (i)) - 64), strint (location (row, col) (i + 1))))
                        end if
                    else
                        addValue := 0
                    end if
                end for
                if addValue = 1 then
                    cellValue (row, col) := intstr (value)
                end if
            end if
        end for
    end for
end for

cls
for i : 1 .. 10
    for j : 1 .. 9
        if j < 9 then
            if strint (cellValue (i, j)) < 0 then
                put "* " ..
            else
                put cellValue (i, j), " " ..
            end if
        else
            if strint (cellValue (i, j)) < 0 then
                put "*"
            else
                put cellValue (i, j)
            end if
        end if
    end for
end for

-zylum
zylum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

here's my answer to S1... was pretty simple:

code:

var fileName : string := "s1.5.data"
var samples : int
get : file, samples

var collec : array 1 .. samples, 1 .. 3 of string
var fix : array 1 .. samples of int

for i : 1 .. samples
    for j : 1 .. 3
        get : file, collec (i, j)
    end for
end for

for i : 1 .. samples
    fix (i) := 1
    for j : 1 .. 3
        for k : 1 .. 3
            if j not= k then
                if length (collec (i, j)) <= length (collec (i, k)) then
                    if collec (i, j) = collec (i, k) (1 .. length (collec (i, j))) then
                        fix (i) := 0
                    end if
                    if collec (i, j) = collec (i, k) (* - (length (collec (i, j))) + 1 .. *) then
                        fix (i) := 0
                    end if
                end if
            end if
        end for
    end for
    if fix (i) = 1 then
        put "yes"
    else
        put "no"
    end if
end for

btw, i used keyboard input for all my answers but for your convenience, i altered them to work with data files...
zylum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

man, i also screwed up on S2... it works as long as there isnt any ties... damn... i added an extra 3 lines to my original solution and now it works properly... damn those stupid mistakes will cost me big time...

code:

var fileName : string := "s2.5.data"
var yodlers : int
var rounds : int
get : file, yodlers
get : file, rounds

var score : array 1 .. yodlers of int
for i : 1 .. yodlers
    score (i) := 0
end for
var rank : array 1 .. yodlers of int
var tempScore : int

var rankCount : int := 0

for R : 1 .. rounds
        get : file, tempScore
        score (i) += tempScore
    end for

rankCount := 0
        for j : 1 .. yodlers
            if i not= j then
                if score (j) > score (i) then
                    rankCount += 1
                end if
            end if
        end for
        if R = 1 then
            rank (i) := rankCount + 1
        else
            if rank (i) < rankCount + 1 then
                rank (i) := rankCount + 1
            end if
        end if
    end for
end for

var winner : int := 1

for i : 2 .. yodlers
    if score (i) > score (winner) then
        winner := i
    end if
end for

cls
    if score (i) = score (winner) then
        put "Yodler ", i, " is the top Yodeller: score ", score (i), ", worst rank ", rank (i)
    end if
end for
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Don't kill yourselves over 3 or 5 lines. Understandably, this is frustrating, but you may only lose one point over it.

The Junior questions were very simple, with the exception of question number 5. This required recursion, a topic with which most grade 10 or 11's are unfamiliar with.

If anyone has a working solution for J5, I'm sure that many people would want to see it. (+Bits)

I hate bribes, but sometimes...

-bunny
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 6  [ 90 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: