Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 cos and sin
Index -> General Programming
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jonos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm   Post subject: cos and sin

i have seen these used a lot, and if its not too much trouble, could someone please explain these and what they do. im only starting grade 10 math, so i don't know.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

They're used in trig, you can use them in solving for parts of a triangle if certain other parts are known. I think only in right angeled triangles:
sin(angle) = opposite / hypotenuse
cos(angle) = adjacent / hypotenuse
haven't reached that unit yet, remebered from some book 2 summers back... that I was made to study...
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sin/Cos/Tan are ratios formed between the sides of the triangle in relation to an angle. If you know an angle and 1 side, you can find all other sides using trig.

Sin/Cos/Tan functions are applied to the right angle triangle, but you can use special ratios in any triangle.

a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc CosA

where a,b,c are the sides and A is the angle opposite of the side a

also

SinA/a = SinB/b = SinC/b
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
jonos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks for explaining it, but is there any where where i could get a more simpler definition/use
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

grade 10 math textbook Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

its hte final unit in math , it makes the course relaxing after quadratices, good way to end hte year / semester ... trignometry is fun and good for programming
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

trig is neccessary for programming Laughing

lol, quadratics... that's the easy stuff... just wait till calculus Laughing
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

in in funtions and relations right now , caculus isnt that dificult ( begginers 0 i was looking at it online couple weeks ago the coursse in grade 12 dosent go very indepth
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well at first its advanced functions... you don't get into the real calculus for a while...

but apparently its really useful in physics pass highschool
Catalyst

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

calculus isnt that hard (it still is fairly hard tho)
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i quite like functions , i love number secuences aswell in math , the fibionacci geometric and arithmeic i have found very useful
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Calculus was hard.
Algebra is hard.

I love both of them
Data Management is a boring pain in the neck.
Catalyst

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well said
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

octopi wrote:
Data Management is a boring pain in the neck.

that's why you take it in gr 11 so you won't be bored as much as you would in gr 12. But's Finite is a good course to take, very useful in solving problems. Yeah, I know, with computer science, you could just write up a program and do a probability question by repeatedly running that program, but the matrices and probablity theory you learn is not bad at all, and very very useful.
apomb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I was wondering if Geometry/Discrete Math is useful for programming ... and if it is / not ... what does it teach you ?
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 38 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: