Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Microsoft goes open source.
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:21 pm   Post subject: Microsoft goes open source.

Microsoft has finally gone open source....

Well...no, not open source....but there source code is now availble for people to find more of the many flaws, easier...

So....there goes microsofts number one security feature "Its closed source, so hackers can't find holes as easy...."

WOW, that logic is broken....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37648-2004Feb12.html
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:

operating system has been leaked

Does that mean ppl stole the info from whereever they store it, or did it actually "leak" out, like given away.
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Microsoft doesn't want it out....it was probally leaked by a crazy worker, foreign government agency, or some other means.....the last thing Microsoft wants is there source code availble.
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well, according to this article, its not THAT big a deal.
Quote:

Internet appears to be roughly 660 megabytes in size, about the size of one CD-ROM's worth of data. That is far short of the estimated 40 gigabytes of data that makes up the entire 40 million lines of code in the Windows operating system.

Quote:

"From a security standpoint, this is sort of like capturing a 1956 Russian fighter jet,"

But, is there danger for ppl like you and me?
santabruzer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey wait a minute.. the Whole MSN system was down like two days ago.. as in down down.. i wonder if it was all a hack in Razz
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My guess of the source code...is that even a small chunk of it, would still be harmful.

With the source code, its much easier to spot potential spots where an attack can be made. Such as unchecked user input, possible buffer overflow attacks, etc...

I want to know exactly how 40 million lines of code when compiled results in less then 600 mb....I wonder where the equilibrium point is, where code size = compiled size......
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well according to someone I read, it was the weekly midnight 1 hr down, if it was because of that code leak, there'd have been a big deal about it.
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

....you mean there weekly midnight shut down, that normally happens at 1:59 am, which acctually happened around 9:35pm.....yah....must have been there weekly shutdown.

That problem wasn't a regular shutdown, I think it was acctually a major router that went down...cause the network connection died right after bellnexxia reached seattle, so I dunno.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Bell Nexxia: Consulting services in telecommunication solutions?
I've finally come to an opinion that this isn't such a big deal. Microsoft's so big, that it prolly leaked b4 this one, and prolly will leak again. Its inevitable.
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:36 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Funny how linux is more stable, and it's 100% open source. And there's no linuxupdate.linux.org. Wink
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

This leak could be extremely dangerous for open source, actually. Just look at what SCO is currently doing.

Microsoft could use this against projects like WINE, suing them for copyright infringements with the argument that they saw the source, so they probably copied some of it.

They don't have to be right to win, they just have to stay in the fight longer than whoever they're suing can.
octopi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Problem is WINE, is open source....so someone could simply look at the source, and compare it, and see the differences.

Then microsoft could sue anyone.....so why don't they just sue random people right now?
DanShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lmfao! That is funny...and kinda sad. Microsoft Windows code leak, wow...I didnt even think that was possible...but wow. Poor rich microsoft corporation... *sheds a single tear*. Oh well, now time for Windows XP to be broken....(or not, cough I didnt just say that...looks around afraid of the shadows that are coming closer in his room...help!)
Amailer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

hmmm ya. the joy.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

so what's the worse that could happen? ppl using windows for free?
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 30 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: