Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Factorial Calculator, formula help :?
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
scorpia95

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:00 pm   Post subject: Factorial Calculator, formula help :?

There is no textbox to input a number, its supposed to start from 1 when you click "Next"

When I click "Next" on my calculator, it's supposed to say 1, and the factorial of 1. Then if I click the button again, it's supposed to say 2 and the factorial of 2. If I click next again its supposed to say 3 and the factorial of 3 and so on...

I don't understand how Its supposed to switch over to the next number when I click the button "Next".
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:13 am   Post subject: RE:Factorial Calculator, formula help :?

You can use a textbox that is does not accept input and is not editable by the user. The 'next' button should edit the text in that box, using the built-in textbox properties.
scorpia95

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:32 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Factorial Calculator, formula help :?

Insectoid @ Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:13 am wrote:
You can use a textbox that is does not accept input and is not editable by the user. The 'next' button should edit the text in that box, using the built-in textbox properties.

Cant, we were told that both the number and the factorial box are labels

Im supposed to be making something like this

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2dpggj.jpg
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:55 am   Post subject: RE:Factorial Calculator, formula help :?

In the buttonPressed event of your "Next" button, you could increment a variable by 1, set the number label to your variable, and set the factorial box to the factorial of your variable.
scorpia95

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:12 pm   Post subject: Re: Factorial Calculator, formula help :?

ty, i figured it out. Now Im stuck at my formula Confused

Formula:
N! = (1^2)*(2^2)*(3^2)...*(N^2)

Im doing this

x = x + 1
N.Text = x
For i = 1 To x
y = i^2 <-- my "i" isn't squaring all the values from 1 to x, its just squaring "i" at the current "x"
NFact.Text = CStr(y)
Next
Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:25 pm   Post subject: RE:Factorial Calculator, formula help :?

Your first problem is that your formula is wrong. Factorials are defined as N! = 1*2*3*4....*n, which is a lot simpler than what you came up with.

Because you only have to compute the 'next' factorial and not a random one, this is really easy. You won't need any loops. You start at 1. when you click 'next' you want to calculate fac(2), which is 1*2. Clicking 'next' again, you want fac(3), which is 1*2*3. But you don't need to calculate all that, because you already calculated 1*2 in the previous step. Find a way to use this to your advantage.

EDIT: I see now that you're required to use the more complicated formula. Fortunately, that doesn't matter and the advice I gave you will work the same way.
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: