Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How do i write to a new line in a text file with variable print?
Index -> Programming, Python -> Python Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Luganchan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:37 pm   Post subject: How do i write to a new line in a text file with variable print?

I need a program which will read a large paragraph from a text file. It will then output the same paragraph onto a new file. In the new one, each word will be on a new line.
I have a working portion, which simply copies the text from one file onto the other, it does not however, make it line by line.
code:
file = open("C:/Users/XXXX/Desktop/Program/Input.txt","r")
output = open("C:/Users/XXXX/Desktop/Program/output.txt","w")
for line in file: 
    output.write(line)
file.close()
output.close()

I tried using the \n suffix, but it crashes the program.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dreadnought

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:55 pm   Post subject: Re: How do i write to a new line in a text file with variable print?

What is the message when the program crashes?
Luganchan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:04 pm   Post subject: RE:How do i write to a new line in a text file with variable print?

This bit of the code works, but I can't figure out what I need to add to make it write line by line.
Dreadnought

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:13 pm   Post subject: Re: How do i write to a new line in a text file with variable print?

So what goes wrong when you try to append \n to the end of the lines?
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:39 pm   Post subject: RE:How do i write to a new line in a text file with variable print?

Perhaps inputting your string, splitting it into seperate words (String array), then writing to your file by iterating through your array would work better?
   Index -> Programming, Python -> Python Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: