Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 U of Waterloo
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
acelynx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 pm   Post subject: U of Waterloo

I'm in grade 11 and up until now I was unsure about what I wanted to do after highschool and I decided I want to do computer science.

The Waterloo website says I will need mid 80s average. How accurate is that? Are they very strict on this?

Also, what is Elucid and CCC and how important are they to get into Waterloo?

My marks arent very good this year due to family issue's I was away from school alot, so I wouldnt be looking into early admission. When would I apply?

What other things would help me get into Waterloo?

Thanks!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:54 pm   Post subject: RE:U of Waterloo

The way those admission numbers work is that in the previous year the University has received all of its applications, started accepting from the top marks, and continued down. When all of the spots for the program got filled, they ended up in "mid 80s".

Euclid and CCC are Math and CS competitions that could favourably add a few points to your application via AIF -- Additional Information Form, which is a part of UWaterloo application process. This is also a chance to get a reference letter from your Math/CS teacher.

The admissions are based on grade 12 marks, so don't let last year's grades hold you back from trying.

Last piece of advice -- +5 taking your English mark from e.g. 70% to 75% is more valuable than moving a CS mark from 95 to 100. The overall average is the same, but there is a preference towards better rounded applicants.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
d310

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:39 pm   Post subject: Re: U of Waterloo

If I recall correctly, there's a spot on the AIF to explain circumstances for your marks, such as your family issues.
I suppose extracurriculars would be helpful, since the AIF does ask you to list them out.
Any Waterloo contests are also good, so consider signing up for the Fermat and CCC this year (although I'm pretty sure it's too late for both Sad ).
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: