Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [FP] asteroids
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] 2004/2005 Archive
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Do you like my game?
(No ending time set)
Very much
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Somewhat
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
So - so
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Not really
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
It sucks
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

zylum

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:54 pm   Post subject: [FP] asteroids

well here's my FP... i would have made something better but since my partner is lazy he wanted me to program something with a low line count... i decided to redo my asteroids engine. the program ended up being cut in half and is MUCH more efficient so im happy with the result and hes happy cuz he only needs to comment 400 lines as well as make the users guide and programmers guide Wink tell me if you find any bugs

-zylum

edit:

ok i just read the FP rules post so here's the info i need to add:

My program is an emulation of the good old asteroids game. It has 5 different asteroid graphics and a highscore file. I originally made this game 6 months ago with only 1 year of programming experience and it was even better than this one in some ways ie multiplayer. no i am 17 with 2 years of experience.. i decided to ommit the multiplayer aspect to ease the load of work that my partner needs to do. Improvements include a 50% cut in line count, runs MUCH faster (sorry no numbers) you can use an unlimited number of bullets. There is only one thing buggy with the game, at the start of each level it tends to run somewhat slowly because I picMerge the asteroids and since there is a lot of white area, turing has more calculations to make before drawing the asteroid so if you are running on a slow machine i suggest you destroy the big one early on... It even runs much faster with all 27 little asteroids and many bullets on the screen than just 3 asteroids large and no bullets on the screen. another good feature of the game is the collision detection: it is very accurate. there are 16 points around the ship and when an asteroid is near enough the ship then it is checked whether it collides with any of these points, this is a major improvement from my old game which checked every loop all the asteroids with all the points.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

very cool, best game FP I have seen so far.

It's getting interesting, the FP contest, The end of year is approaching fast, and more people might submit their game, so watch out zylum, you might have competition soon. Smile

btw, add a poll for people to vote on.
zylum

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks Wink

and poll is added
Tony

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

not bad, but controls should be finetuned. I think the turns and acceleration are way to slow right now. The ship should be more mobile.

and maybe put a little more effort into the graphics. Have some animations for the ship engines and asteroys breaking up.

Right now the game looks kinda plane
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
zylum

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah i admit it really is quite plain especially for my abilities... its due on moday so my friend needed it by today and i procrastinated(wrote the whole thing today) big time so this is all i came up with. i agree with you about the controls and udated the file
Paul

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Very nice Zylum. Smile
I don't think its plain, other than the lack of an exaust trail, otherwise I think its great, good graphics too.
rhomer

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Really Coll...I really like the interface and i like the physics
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

uh oh.
I had some problems with your program Confused
1.) I was invincible - well, almost. almost all of the asteroids passed right through me, I only died after about 10 asteroids passing through me. is this a feature or a bug? (do I have a shield? Thinking)
after looking more closely at it, it appears as though only one of the original three asteroids actually kills me, the other two just stop me from moving. I think that only the asteroids produced from the original asteroid that could kill me, can kill me. Confused

2.) Rotation and movement are really fast. I can go at warp speed and can't tapping the right or left arrow turns me really far (I can't turn less than 15 degrees at a time).

physics is good though Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, it works fine for me, I think its because on ur PC it's too fast, if you'll look to the top left corner, you can see ur lives reducing, you start with 3 lives lol, that might explain why u die on the third asteroid.
zylum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah, i forgot to add a delay for faster computers Embarassed

anyways, as PaulBian said, when an asteroid hits you, the screen flashes red and then you cant move until the area is clear aswell you lose a life...

here's the update source, if it's still too fast then change the constants to suit your fancy and/or change the delay in the main loop...

-zylum

asteroids_02.t
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  asteroids_02.t
 Filesize:  12.35 KB
 Downloaded:  624 Time(s)

Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] 2004/2005 Archive
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: