Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 A few questions regarding CS and university
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Danyn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:58 pm   Post subject: A few questions regarding CS and university

I'm a senior in high school and I'm currently hoping to study computer science in University. With that being said, I have a few questions regarding my future.

I predict that my top 6 will at least look something like this

Guitar - 95 (Achieved 98 in grade 11)
Advanced Functions - 90 (Currently sitting on a 93)
Calculus - 90 (Unsure of how hard this course is but I'm usually good at math.)
English - 85
Computer Science - 85
Computer Engineering - 85

This will give me an average of about 88%. Now, for the questions.

First, what are my chances at making Waterloo co-op CS if my top 6 marks look exactly the way I predicted them to look?

Next, besides Waterloo, what are other universities that offer good CS programs with co-op?

Finally, if I get accepted into regular CS at Waterloo but accepted into co-op CS at another uni, which would be the better option?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:30 pm   Post subject: RE:A few questions regarding CS and university

UWaterloo does "individual selection", which means someone actually looks at your grades, additional information (there's a form when you apply, it's things like contests, clubs, letters of recommendation), and other circumstance (some schools inflate their grades more than others). Ultimately it will also depend on everyone else applying in the same year.

The best advice is to apply to multiple schools and then evaluate all of your options. Even if you are set on a specific program, you don't lose by getting more offers.

Definitely apply to both UWaterloo and UofToronto. If you are open to schools outside of Ontario, UBC also has pretty good industry connections.

Don't get too attached to the formality of the co-op program. The universities make it easier for employers to interview many students, but ultimately it's still a full job interview. Outside of the program you would have to work harder to land an interview, but once in, you are pretty much on equal grounds for that job. Oddly enough in senior years the formality of the program gets in the way more than it helps (e.g. forcing to accept offers early and making it prohibitively difficult to negotiate for salary/benefits).
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: