Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Switching from CS to SE
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jafar25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:52 pm   Post subject: Switching from CS to SE

I'm currently a CS student at UofT and have completed over 12 credits. I know this is pretty late at this point, but I want to leave CS after getting very tired of the grind on theory courses, their electives, and UofT in general.

My question is what are my options? I was planning on completing 12U physics and chemistry over the summer to make up for the prerequisites and then applying to McMaster, York, and UOIT, but I'm not sure if they'll let me skip all the introductory courses to finish the last 2 years of their programs, my grades at UofT haven't been good, with an average in the 60s with some courses being in the 50s. I'm also unsure about how they'll consider these grades during the application process. Confused

Should I also consider colleges at this point?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:08 pm   Post subject: RE:Switching from CS to SE

- for the most part CS and SE are the same thing. At UWaterloo we would take same classes and end up at same internships.
- in my experience, credits below 70s don't transfer. And even then, it must be known that the course covers the material in full. I've been in a silly situation where my Algebra II credit has transferred between faculties, but I had to go back to do Algebra I. Prepare for a lot of bureaucracy.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
jafar25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:38 pm   Post subject: Re: Switching from CS to SE

Thanks for the reply.

Does the 70% rule apply even if it's to a lower university like York? I mean I've seen other universities' tests, assignments, and exams and I'd estimate an 80% there is more like a 50-60% at UofT. Do they not take that into consideration?

Also, I was under the impression Software Engineers don't have to deal with any proofs and theory courses and focus more on useful projects and math/physics.

EDIT: York states a 65% average requirement for transfers. I'll just call them to ask about the specific courses.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:36 pm   Post subject: Re: Switching from CS to SE

jafar25 @ Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:38 pm wrote:
I was under the impression Software Engineers don't have to deal with any proofs and theory courses

I don't think that's correct. Perhaps plausible at a
Quote:
lower university
, but don't expect to be able to build any
Quote:
useful projects
without learning the hard/interesting parts.

E.g. Google employees (according to LinkedIn) from various Universities:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

UW and UofT are definitely theory heavy.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
jafar25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:33 pm   Post subject: Re: Switching from CS to SE

Thanks, you always make a good point, Tony.

It's also somewhat depressing Confused . I've been contemplating this for the past 2 years and I stayed for those reasons. There's a deep rooted feeling that this isn't where I need to be to fully dedicate myself to learning and working with software. :/ I've been very driven to learn things independently in the past, but for the past year or 2, I can't get myself to do anything. The motivation only returns when I leave UofT and spend time at companies or events with professionals rather than students and professors, only to die again upon returning to campus.

Sorry to bother you with my problems though, I appreciate the response Smile
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:02 pm   Post subject: Re: Switching from CS to SE

jafar25 @ Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:33 pm wrote:

It's also somewhat depressing

That sounds like it could be the bigger issue; but also a challenge to really understand.

jafar25 @ Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:33 pm wrote:
The motivation only returns when I leave UofT and spend time at companies or events with professionals rather than students and professors

UofT and UW are by far the closest you could get to professionals / industry. The way the industry sees, there isn't really a 3rd place (perhaps UBC, due to it's proximity to the west coast companies). I would be very cautious about jumping to a different campus, without finding evidence that it would be a better match. It might be the right thing for you. It might also be wrong.

In my experience, there are many things that might affect your levels of motivation. While entering school is the obvious lifestyle change, there are other things for you to consider. They would primarily fall into the categories of:
- living arrangements (where, with whom, etc.). Some might find living with family to be distracting from school work, while others have a hard time dealing with independence.
- social arrangements (relationships, friends, activities). Some relationships are toxic, but social interactions are typically beneficial to wellbeing.
- taking care of yourself (food, exercise, etc.)

Strangers on internet is not the right place to get psychiatric advice. UofT likely has free services available to their students though -- many experience some kind of stress at University.
lauragibs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:26 am   Post subject: RE:Switching from CS to SE

i think that it is depressing actually
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: