Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Operating Systems or Artificial Intelligence
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jk123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:58 am   Post subject: Operating Systems or Artificial Intelligence

I want to choose the area of specialization - operating systems or artificial intelligence.
On the one hand, I'm interested in operating systems and low-level programming. But this area seems to me to stop. It seems to me that nothing new happens here, "all have been invented". This article (though written long ago) confirmed my thoughts:
http://doc.cat-v.org/bell_labs/utah2000/
On the other hand, artificial intelligence seems to be something very interesting and even exciting. There are many interesting areas - machine learning, machine vision, pattern recognition. Artificial intelligence is associated with robotics. I heard "Around 2025, being a robot programmer will be in demand as much as being an app programmer is today. Study lots of A.I. Start early". But I have friends who say that artificial intelligence - the area is quite boring, mainly related to the meticulous study of algorithms or "primitive selection of parameters for algorithms and preparation of input data for them."
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Operating Systems or Artificial Intelligence

From the article cited:
Quote:

Systems software research has become a sideline to the excitement in the computing industry.

Quote:

Primarily academic research -- universities and a few industrial labs.

If you intend on staying in academia, there might be something to it. If you intend on a career in the industry, then this article is not about that.

Either way, it sounds like you are looking at undergrad and... it really doesn't matter. Study both, the difference in specializations are typically just preselected elective courses -- both give you the same degree.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: