Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How good is laurier cs?
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Joebiden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:30 am   Post subject: How good is laurier cs?

I will probably be applying to laurier cs along with their Econ program
I know waterloo is the better option but how good is lauriers?

How hard would it be to switch to waterloo after first year?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:41 pm   Post subject: RE:How good is laurier cs?

As hard as it would be to transfer to Waterloo from any other university. I actually emailed Waterloo earlier this year asking about that and the following is what I got back:
Quote:

We are looking for a minimum final average of 75% in your first year at university with no failed/withdrawn grades and strong grades in mathematics courses. To be competitive, I would recommend keeping your overall averages at 80% and better.
Yes, we would be looking at your high school grades as well.
yusong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:19 pm   Post subject: RE:How good is laurier cs?

I go to the Business and Comp Sci double degree program with CS at Waterloo. But I have done some of the Laurier assignments. I would recommend you don't take CS at Laurier if that is what you want to do in the future.

Consider:
Waterloo
Toronto
UBC
Joebiden

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:26 am   Post subject: Re: RE:How good is laurier cs?

yusong @ Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:19 pm wrote:
I go to the Business and Comp Sci double degree program with CS at Waterloo. But I have done some of the Laurier assignments. I would recommend you don't take CS at Laurier if that is what you want to do in the future.

Consider:
Waterloo
Toronto
UBC

If say those schools weren't an option, would cs be even remotely good for cs?
Should I go with Econ at laurier or cs?
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:20 pm   Post subject: RE:How good is laurier cs?

For the most part, what you put into your university education is what you get out of it. There will be some Laurier CS students that are better (by some definition) than some Waterloo CS students.

The big advantage of Waterloo/Toronto is that they get first picks of top students, so it's easier to surround yourself with motivated and skilled individuals.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: