Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Ranting on Windows
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
btiffin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:28 am   Post subject: Ranting on Windows

2 am, want to quick browse, laptop Win 8. Instead the start screen is interrupted by a Get 8.1 For Free.

Ok, cool, read a little more, the focus stealing pop up has one exit button. One. No close, no menu, a button. "Go to Store".

Umm, I can't sit through a 8.1 install right now, so no, please. Later.

No, no later for you. Go to Store. Do not pass desktop. Go to Store.

Smile

Who are these people?

Cheers
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Zren

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Ranting on Windows

To be fair, they have to deal with users who would never update their computers otherwise.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Ranting on Windows

Only reason I would upgrade to 8.1 is to have my windows button back, which I got through 3rd party software anyways.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:18 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ranting on Windows

Raknarg @ Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:35 pm wrote:
Only reason I would upgrade to 8.1 is to have my windows button back, which I got through 3rd party software anyways.

I find that start button to be really useless, it was better without it (though I guess it makes no significant difference either way).
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:49 pm   Post subject: RE:Ranting on Windows

Oh? You don't find having a bunch of shortcuts condensed in one place convenient?
btiffin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:22 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ranting on Windows

Zren @ Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:02 pm wrote:
To be fair, they have to deal with users who would never update their computers otherwise.

Can you imagine jumping in a car as part of an emergency run to a hospital, only to have the car refuse to go there until AFTER you go to the dealer for routine maintenance?

I repeat;

Who are these people?

Cheers
btiffin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Ranting on Windows

Once again, who are these people?

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2014/02/gates-spends-entire-first-day-back-in-office-trying-to-install-windows-81.html

Jeers
evildaddy911

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:59 pm   Post subject: RE:Ranting on Windows

so hang on. BILL GATES wont use win8?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
btiffin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Ranting on Windows

Not until he can figure out how to install it. Smile

Or, Andy Borowitz is so good at satire, that his calendar never changes from April 1st.

Cheers

Edit; yeah, it's untrue. Borowitz might take some heat though
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:16 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ranting on Windows

Raknarg @ Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:49 pm wrote:
Oh? You don't find having a bunch of shortcuts condensed in one place convenient?

I do, but the quick launch bar was always there.

Only thing I ever saw a power user use the start menu for was to type the program they wanted and hit enter. This still works perfectly fine in windows 8.

You can also see all your programs by hitting windows key, the only difference is that they are now full screen rather than on a tiny little window at the bottom left.

Most of the complaints I've heard are just around users refusing to accept UI changes, even when it's functionally equivalent or better for what they do. It's like when facebook changes their layout, even flips out for no reason.

This is why windows 9 will do really well, is because it won't change the UI at all, and it'll be long enough on windows 8 that people will have finally accepted the changes.

The forced install thing does show up a few places, and while I agree it is annoying, I don't blame them considering how much flak windows used to get with everyone using outdated stuff.

After going to the store though can you exit and do what you want? Again considering the fact that users just automatically click X on whatever pops up, I don't blame them for really trying to force users to realize that they should run the latest version of their OS.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Ranting on Windows

They're already on windows 9? If there's no UI changes, what's the difference going to be? More effectively optimized?
btiffin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:50 am   Post subject: Re: Ranting on Windows

I'm just laughing at Windows now.

Who are these people? I kinda wish they would quit stealing my time though

Having paid money for a thing, and being told MUST. F#@& you.

I have a free thing that loves me and demands nothing.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Oh yeah, why I'm here necroposting...

Wanted to look up some details of YouCam Mirage, just to see if it might be up to naught good.

The blurb included

"The file is not a Windows core file. It is certified by a trustworthy company. The program has no visible window. It is a Verisign signed file. You can uninstall this program in the control panel. Therefore the technical security rating is 19% dangerous."

19% dangerous.

What a joke of a computing ecosystem.

Old guy rant, over, for now; only have to suffer this laptop until the MUST 8.1 update is finished.

What a sad sad joke, a society pwned and paying for the privilege.

Edit, some hour later Nice wait, and yayy, there is a Store icon on the taskbar now, cool. I wanted that.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: