Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Sensitive-looking files for TureCrypt partitions
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
randint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:52 pm   Post subject: Sensitive-looking files for TureCrypt partitions

I was playing with a program called "TrueCrypt" in Ubuntu (the only OS installed on my computer). It let's you create a partition on a drive with an "outer volume" which has an "inner volume" which can be either hidden or not. I am just curious as to what can be considered to be sensitive-looking files (that can be stored on the outer volume [the one that you reveal the password to if you are forced to do so at gunpoint]). Should I randomly put some fake credit card/debit card numbers into random *.odt or *.txt files? (My music and textbooks are going to be on that volume, but just in case if I am really threatened by someone - not that UW is dangerous, but rather as a precaution, just like backing up files).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Sensitive-looking files for TureCrypt partitions

Wait, why do you need fake credit numbers or other fake sensitive stuff to encrypt your music and textbooks???
randint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:30 pm   Post subject: RE:Sensitive-looking files for TureCrypt partitions

Because I need to store some SINs on that drive, LOL.
andrew.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Sensitive-looking files for TureCrypt partitions

You might be able to create some sort of encrypted archive to store those files. I know that Mac OS X has encrypted DMG images. I don't know how secure it truly is, but it offers 128-bit and 256-bit AES ecryption.
randint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Sensitive-looking files for TureCrypt partitions

Haha, I ****ed it up again! I am the dumbass!

But, realistically, why am I not a dumbass? I have not even entered the University of Waterloo - and will not understand how this cryptographic scheme thing works until at least after taking CO 487 or something. Haha, combinatorics and optimization......now I know how to make the thing secure: disconnect the computer from the internet, then mount the hidden volume, work with the sensitive files, then dismount the hidden volume after finished, shut down the computer for at least 10 minutes, turn it back on, reconnect it to the internet......
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: