Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 civilization style game
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Kingnoz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:37 am   Post subject: civilization style game

well i'm making a civilization style game for my final project...its not due for 2-3 months but i want an early start to make it look awesome

for any of u guys(and gals) that have played games like civilization, please post characteristics of the game(s) that u liked...i'm open to all suggestions so post away! Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
LovelyCrap

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

A civilization style game won't be easy to make. The best characteristic of the civilization series was the complex economic structure. Thats what made the game fun. Civilization didn't have good graphics, didn't have good music/sfx and it didn't have a story (just a bunch of scenarios stuck together), but it had amazing gameplay. If you could succeed in emulating their economic model, then your golden, else your game won't be too fun.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I remember playing first civilization... Laughing

Civilization is easier to program then other strategies, since it's turn based, but you do need to allow the player a much greater control to make it interesting.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
FDisk87

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That is gonna be some hard work to emulate. Sid Miers (Sp?) is a genius. Perhaps one of the most respected figures in game development.
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i simply love Civillisation. i read the book twice but i don't have those little action figures yet.. i want them there so cute ^_
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

alpha centauri rocks Very Happy
Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My favourite part of the civilization games were the progression through time. Also i liked how you got to pick which leader and country you got to be, and the ranking you were given. i.e. Abe the Terrible, John he Great.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

empire earth is pretty cool if you like aoe and games that span many eras... empire earth goes from prehistoric (cavemen with clubs and rocks) to nano age (futuristic shit) .. although the first few eras aren't that exciting, but once you start getting more units and stuff it's pretty damn cool
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Maverick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

My favourite time period was probably the medievil era. The knights and catapults and all that are pretty fun.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah... you should go to medieval times some time.. I went some years ago (4 or 5 years I think) and it was pretty cool and good food
Maverick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ya I went back to the caveman era a few weeks ago. Me and the neanderthols had some good times/ oy do they know how to party.

+1BIT

for you.
Dauntless

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh man. whatdotcolor warrior/ dodge said "cute". Mass confusion ensues.
McKenzie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

WDCW finds paperclips to be "cute" Confused
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: