Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Fun Calculus Problem
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Panphobia

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:02 pm   Post subject: Fun Calculus Problem

So on my test there were a couple pretty fun questions
code:
There is a function y = ax^2 + bx + c , if the x intercepts are 0 and 8, and the slope of the tangent at x =2 is 16, what are a, b, c
I got a = -4, b = 32, c =0. The second one
code:
The function y=x^3+3 has a tangent at (1,4) this tangent also intersects at another point P, find point P
that one was pretty easy but fun, my friend was convinced that I got it wrong, but I am pretty sure I am right saying that, P = (-2,-5) because this is what I did
code:
The derivative function d/dx = 3x^2 so the slope of the line is 3(1)^2, then we know that y = mx + b so you sub (1,4) into that, and also you sub the slope, so 4 = 3 + b, and b = 1, so y = 3x + 1, now to get the intersection point you make y = y,
3x + 1 = x^3 + 3
0 = x^3 - 3x + 2
0 = (x-1)(x-1)(x+2)
since we already know x=1 is an intersection point we find that -2 is the only different one
so we sub -2 into y = x^3 +3 and get y = -5 so P = (-2,-5)
am I right?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:55 am   Post subject: RE:Fun Calculus Problem

Yeah I got the same answers for both
Panphobia

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:08 pm   Post subject: Re: Fun Calculus Problem

Ok so I wrote another calculus test recently, and the thinking question was similar to that of the previous here it is
code:
The function f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + c goes through point (2,-3) and has an inflection point at (1,1),with this information what are the values of the constants a,b,c
I got answers that
code:
a = 2, b =  -6, and c = 5
I was just wondering if I got it right, thank you and that is all.
d310

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Fun Calculus Problem

I agree with the answer.
Panphobia

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Fun Calculus Problem

How the hell would I answer a question like this
code:
Consider the function f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d
what is the equation to the tangent of the only inflection point?
How would I get one single answer for this? Without it being crazy with variables all over?
Dreadnought

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:24 pm   Post subject: Re: Fun Calculus Problem

Well first you solve for the inflection point (you should know how to do this).

Then you find the slope of the tangent at that point. You probably also know that the slope is the first derivative evaluated at the inflection point.
So substitute in the value of x at the inflection point and simplify it into something relatively nice (2 terms).

Then finding the equation of the tangent line should be easy (you know the slope and the y-intercept is pretty obvious).
Panphobia

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Fun Calculus Problem

I mean, I know how to solve it easily with all those variables in the equation, but I mean to solve for a definite line, is that possible?
Dreadnought

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:51 pm   Post subject: Re: Fun Calculus Problem

Well the line does depend on the values of a,b,c, and d so you can't get a single line for all values (that would imply all tangents to a cubic are a single line). But you can give the tangent line in a form that depends on a,b,c and d. Then if you knew a,b,c and d you would just substitute in the values and have a nice equation.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Panphobia

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Fun Calculus Problem

yea thats what I did, because it said find an equation of the tangent to that function. The question on the test was worded weird but yea, I did it that exact way. and the equation of the tangent to the inflection point does not depend on d, only a, b and c Razz. This is because when you take the derivative(the tangent to any point on the graph), the d value disappears because it is like f(x) = dx^0 f'(x) = 0dx^-1
Dreadnought

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:00 pm   Post subject: Re: Fun Calculus Problem

The slope of the tangent line does not depend on d but the equation does. Remember that to define a line in the Cartesian plane, you need both a slope and a point on the line (and this point will depend on d).

EDIT:
Maybe it's this point that's bugging you.
You might be used to giving the equation of the tangent line in the form y = mx + b (m is the slope, b is the y intercept), however b isn't necessarily nice in this case. So I give you the linear approximation to f at the point a. L(x) = f'(a)*(x-a) + f(a) where a is point around which you want to approximate (in this case the inflection point).

L(x) is the tangent line to f(x) at the point x = a.
Does this make it easier?

EDIT to the edit: You'll notice that this is actually what you would get if you solved for b and substituted into y = mx + b.
EDIT 3: Ok I'm feel I need to show you where L(x) comes from.
code:
You want a line with a slope of f'(a) going through f(a) where a is the inflection point.
We find the y-intercept of this line, b = f(a) - f'(a)*a   <--- comes from f(a) = f'(a)*a + b since f(a) is on the line y = f'(a)*x + b
Substitute into L(x) = f'(a)*x + b
L(x) = f'(a)*x + f(a) - f'(a)*a
L(x) = f(a) + f'(a)*(x-a)

Edit 4: Does this help?
Panphobia

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:30 pm   Post subject: RE:Fun Calculus Problem

Yea I understand it, but I got the question right on the test anyway Razz
Dreadnought

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:33 pm   Post subject: Re: Fun Calculus Problem

Oh, ok well good then! (I needed something to distract me from boring homework anyway)
Panphobia

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:52 pm   Post subject: RE:Fun Calculus Problem

this unit was probably the unit where I had to do some work, next unit is optimization, I think it is probably going to be the easiest unit of the semester Razz have you taken it already?
Dreadnought

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:04 pm   Post subject: Re: Fun Calculus Problem

Oh yes I've taken it, a couple years ago... I recently finished second year math at U of Waterloo. Razz

Optimization is a great application of the calculus you learn in high school. It's much easier than anything you've learned prior (like completing the square to find the vertex of a parabola).

Considering you were asking about a tricky differential equation the other day I'd say you should be fine for optimization. (if you teacher gave you that question on a test I find that kinda evil...)
Panphobia

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:09 pm   Post subject: RE:Fun Calculus Problem

my teacher is evil, he puts like university integration questions on the tests, when in reality integration isn't a part of the course. Anything that is not in the course syllabus you are not allowed to assess on. Sooooooo,....
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 24 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: