Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Is my computer good enough for university?
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Goombario

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:09 pm   Post subject: Is my computer good enough for university?

Hi! I am going to university in the fall for computer science, and I bought a laptop for university. This is it: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lenovo-lenovo-ideapad-u510-15-6-laptop-grey-intel-core-i5-3337u-24gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-8gb-ram-windows-8-u510/10238491.aspx?path=5bbfcd1ea292af861572e2c3d77a12c1en02

It has nice ram, a good i5 processor and a very nice battery life. I just have two concerns:
1. The resolution is only 1336x768. Will that be large enough, or do I need a larger resolution?
2. The graphics card is rather weak. It is an intel HD 4000, integrated. I do not plan on playing many games on it, but will it hold up to everyday assignments and homework?

I really do enjoy the laptop; it has some cool features like a button that goes straight to the BIOS screen. Please let me know what you think! BTW, I will be going to either Carleton computer science (software engineering) or Waterloo Compsci. Thanks! Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:04 am   Post subject: RE:Is my computer good enough for university?

The specs are certainly good enough for university usage, although I bet you can find something better (and cheaper) from not-Future Shop. Having a smaller screen is good for making it lighter and hence easier to carry around. Plus, you can always plug in another monitor and do a hybrid laptop + extra monitor split screen setup.

Also, I have personal reservations against "Ultrabooks", but if that's what you want this looks like a cheap, viable option.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: