Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Project Euler Problem 1
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:34 pm   Post subject: Project Euler Problem 1

WRONG TITLE, MY BAD. It's problem 2.

c++:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
    int fib1=1, fib2=1, fibSum, total;
    while (fibSum < 4000000)
    {
        fibSum = fib1 + fib2;
        if (fibSum % 2 == 0)
            total += fibSum;
        fib1 = fib2;
        fib2 = fibSum;
    }
    if (total > 4000000)
        total -= fibSum;
    cout << total;
}

That's how I made my code. The answer is 1963521375 when I ran the program though, not even close to how it's supposed to be. I can't think of a way to fix this, and when I change some things around, I get the exact same answer. I don't even know what's going on, can somebody help me please?

Here's the question:

Quote:

Each new term in the Fibonacci sequence is generated by adding the previous two terms. By starting with 1 and 2, the first 10 terms will be:

1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, ...

By considering the terms in the Fibonacci sequence whose values do not exceed four million, find the sum of the even-valued terms.

I know, I know, I'm really bad at this Sad
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:52 pm   Post subject: RE:Project Euler Problem 1

What are the initial values of fibSum and total?
Panphobia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:46 pm   Post subject: Re: Project Euler Problem 1

get rid of the
code:
if (total > 4000000)
        total -= fibSum;
you don't need it, other than that, Insectoid is right, look at total and fibSum
Dreadnought

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:45 pm   Post subject: Re: Project Euler Problem 1

Panphobia wrote:

get rid of the
code:
if (total > 4000000)
        total -= fibSum;
you don't need it

While it is true that this will cause a problem, an if statement similar to this one is needed. There's just one little mistake in the statement. (wrong identifier possibly?)
Panphobia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:57 pm   Post subject: Re: Project Euler Problem 1

Dreadnought @ Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:45 pm wrote:
Panphobia wrote:

get rid of the
code:
if (total > 4000000)
        total -= fibSum;
you don't need it

While it is true that this will cause a problem, an if statement similar to this one is needed. There's just one little mistake in the statement. (wrong identifier possibly?)
the question only puts a restriction on the maximum value of the fibonacci number you are allowed to add to the total, not the total itself, so this would work
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:33 pm   Post subject: Re: Project Euler Problem 1

Panphobia @ 3/30/2013, 11:57 pm wrote:
Dreadnought @ Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:45 pm wrote:
Panphobia wrote:

get rid of the
code:
if (total > 4000000)
        total -= fibSum;
you don't need it

the question only puts a restriction on the maximum value of the fibonacci number you are allowed to add to the total, not the total itself, so this would work

Oh... I read the question a million times and I thought i meant the total xD
My friend made one in turing though, got the same answer as I did before I added the if statement at the end, and it was wrong still.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:49 pm   Post subject: Re: Project Euler Problem 1

Still doesn't work :/
Panphobia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:12 pm   Post subject: RE:Project Euler Problem 1

post your updated code Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:35 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Project Euler Problem 1

Panphobia @ 3/31/2013, 9:12 pm wrote:
post your updated code Smile

c++:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

bool checkEven(int number)
{
    if (number % 2 == 0)
        return true;
    else
        return false;
}

struct sequence
{
    int one, two, sum, total;
};

int main()
{
    sequence fib;
    fib.one=1, fib.two=1, fib.total=0;
    while (fib.total < 4000000)
    {
        fib.sum = fib.one + fib.two;
        if (checkEven(fib.sum) == true)
            fib.total += (fib.one + fib.two);
        fib.one = fib.two;
        fib.two = fib.sum;
    }
    cout << fib.total;
}

edit: I just changed the if statement that checks if the content is even from fib.one to fib.sum; I have no idea why fib.one was there
edit 2: It's still wrong
nullptr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:44 am   Post subject: Re: Project Euler Problem 1

Don't check if the total is greater than four million -- check if the current term is greater than four million.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:00 am   Post subject: Re: Project Euler Problem 1

nullptr @ 4/1/2013, 9:44 am wrote:
Don't check if the total is greater than four million -- check if the current term is greater than four million.

When I changed the while-loop to check fib.two, I got the same answer still.
nullptr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:41 am   Post subject: Re: Project Euler Problem 1

Cancer Sol @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:00 am wrote:

I just copy-pasted your code and it gives the right answer (with or without that change). Try entering it in again -- maybe you made a typo the first time?
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 am   Post subject: Re: Project Euler Problem 1

nullptr @ 4/1/2013, 10:41 am wrote:

I just copy-pasted your code and it gives the right answer (with or without that change). Try entering it in again -- maybe you made a typo the first time?

The first time I made the program for it, I had the answer you just got too, but every time I enter it, it's wrong.
Maybe I'm just bad at copying it over to projecteuler.net lol
nullptr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:52 am   Post subject: Re: Project Euler Problem 1

Cancer Sol @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 am wrote:

The first time I made the program for it, I had the answer you just got too, but every time I enter it, it's wrong.

Are you getting 4613732 as your answer?
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:00 pm   Post subject: Re: Project Euler Problem 1

nullptr @ 4/1/2013, 11:52 am wrote:
Cancer Sol @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 am wrote:

Are you getting 4613732 as your answer?

Yes, but projecteuler keeps saying it's incorrect Sad
I'll just try a few more times again.

Edit: Nvm, the answer I have is 4285822
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 28 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: