Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 what to take for second year CS at waterloo
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
michaelp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:31 am   Post subject: what to take for second year CS at waterloo

So course selection for Fall 2013 is next week, and I need to decide what to take for my 2A CS term. Look through this, the courses I for sure need to take for second year (including 2A and 2B) are:

CS240/241/245/246/251
STAT230/231
MATH239

For splitting these between 2A and 2B, I was thinking:
2A: CS245/246, STAT230
2B: CS240/241, STAT231
However, I'm not sure how to split up MATH239 and CS251. Is there any real difference between putting one in 2A and other other in 2B?

For electives, at some point I'd be interested in taking MATH237 (Calc 3), but I feel like I need some more non-math electives to fill out the degree requirements. I was planning on filling out most of them with PHIL and PSYCH courses (took PSYCH101 and PHIL145 this year, along with SCI206 and PHYS121, but I don't want any more science), and I wasn't sure if I should take a PHIL and PSYCH course for the last two slots, or use MATH237 and then end up taking more elective units in upper years.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
A.J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:09 pm   Post subject: RE:what to take for second year CS at waterloo

I would suggest taking MATH239 first and then CS251, as it'll be kind of useful for CS240.

As for electives, looks like you have already done your mandatory science and social science electives. How about the humanities then? French or Spanish are fairly easy, not to mention useful. MATH237 is also pretty useful, as all the analysis courses require it (so if you're planning on taking any analysis courses, then yeah, take calc 3).
michaelp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:47 pm   Post subject: RE:what to take for second year CS at waterloo

Well I still need 1 more course from the humanities (I was thinking PHIL2xx) and one more for social sciences (a second year PSYCH) to fill out the requirements. The pure/pure and applied sciences are filled out already.

The only other thing I was thinking about was thinking about was that I need 10 non-math courses and filling that out. I was thinking about MATH237 first term and then 3 CS + an elective second term.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: