Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Tic Tac Toe game
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:54 pm   Post subject: Tic Tac Toe game

Okay so... I'm going to make a tic tac toe game through a console application. It's going to be a 2-player game (no A.I.'s).
What I'd like to know is: How do I clear the whole console screen? Or draw black on the whole game, so it's basically cleared?
Every time the game has to draw a new game board, I'm going clear the screen.

I'm also wondering, how do I use a loop for the game board but also show the new values on the board?
The board will look like:
code:

1|2|3
-+-+-
4|5|6
-+-+-
7|8|9
//Basically, it looks like Al's Tic Tac Toe game board :P

So far, if I do a loop, the board will always look the same. How do I make it so that if player 1 choose to mark an "x" at number 5, then then the screen clears, the board will appear again with 5 replaced as x? Hopefully, it'll stay there each time the screen clears though :/
So far, that's the only thing I think I need help with, and credits to Al for making his Tic Tac Toe game so I kinda know how to start it Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:46 pm   Post subject: RE:Tic Tac Toe game

Clearing the screen in any traditional way will break cross-platform compatibility. You could just write a whole bunch of empty lines so that the old board scrolls up out of view and then draw the new one.

Quote:
How do I make it so that if player 1 choose to mark an "x" at number 5, then then the screen clears, the board will appear again with 5 replaced as x

This will be very, very easy to do once you have the game actually working. I say this because if you can't figure this out, then your game probably doesn't work anyway. It's a problem that solves itself, really.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:52 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Tic Tac Toe game

Insectoid @ 3/16/2013, 3:46 pm wrote:
Clearing the screen in any traditional way will break cross-platform compatibility. You could just write a whole bunch of empty lines so that the old board scrolls up out of view and then draw the new one.

Quote:
How do I make it so that if player 1 choose to mark an "x" at number 5, then then the screen clears, the board will appear again with 5 replaced as x

This will be very, very easy to do once you have the game actually working. I say this because if you can't figure this out, then your game probably doesn't work anyway. It's a problem that solves itself, really.

Well so far, I think I remember seeing someone saying that if I input another value at number 5, for example, then the old value would be removed, and the variable would have the new value that was inputed. I'll try that to see if it'll work Razz

Edit: It worked! I know how to do that part then Razz

So far, I was only trying to output this text based picture:
c++:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

void clearscreen ()
{
    cout << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl
         << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl << endl;
}

int main ()
{
    cout << " __     __               " << endl
         << " \ \   / /               " << endl
         << \ \_/ /_ _ _ __   __ _ " << endl
         << "   \   / _` | '_ \ / _` |" << endl
         << "    | | (_| | | | | (_| |" << endl
         << "    |_|\__,_|_| |_|\__, |" << endl
         << "                    __/ |" << endl
         << "                   |___/ " << endl;
}

but it looks really messed up when I compile and run it. Does anybody know how I can fix this problem?
evildaddy911

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:05 pm   Post subject: RE:Tic Tac Toe game

aren't back slashes (\) "escape" characters? meaning that the next character is treated specially, like "\n" means "new line" in most languages. Maybe the "\_" and "\ " are being interpreted differently than you think.
I'm not an expert on the C languages, but my suggestion would be to double your slashes, making the third line
code:
<< " \\ \\   / /               " << endl
Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:17 pm   Post subject: RE:Tic Tac Toe game

This was already discusses in your other thread. Tony gave you the answer you need. His answer works. I know; I've tried it.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:50 pm   Post subject: Re: Tic Tac Toe game

Oh whoops, sorry. I don't even remember posting this here, but I guess I did Razz
I'll try to be more aware of what I post in the future.

Edit: Btw, it was TZak who gave me the solution Wink
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: