Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Difference between Visual C++ and C++?
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:17 pm   Post subject: Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

What's the difference between them and which one's better? My dad just gave me lots of Visual C++ tutorials he had, and I was just wondering which one was better.
I heard someone saying that Visual C++ codes make programs in a window like Chrome for an example, instead of command prompt, while C++ codes are command prompt only. The c++ codes I make so far are in cmd, so I'm not so sure about that, but is that true though?
Sorry for asking so much, but just also wondering, does this forum support Visual c++?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:23 pm   Post subject: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Visual C++ is not a language, it is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment). It's a collection of tools that makes it easier to write C++ code. Anything you can do in Visual C++ you can do in notepad.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:26 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Insectoid @ 3/10/2013, 5:23 pm wrote:
Visual C++ is not a language, it is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment). It's a collection of tools that makes it easier to write C++ code. Anything you can do in Visual C++ you can do in notepad.

Oh.. how do I make a program in a window not console then? I'm following the ebook tutorial in cprogramming.com, but it only said to make a console project.
My dad said Visual C++ is harder than c++, but I guess it isn't true then Razz
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

You need to access the Windows APIs to do things like that. This is a pain in the ass though, so there's a bunch of libraries available to make it easier. Have a look at SDL or Allegro for basic graphics stuff. I warn you though- it's pretty tough. This isn't Turing anymore.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:33 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Insectoid @ 3/10/2013, 5:29 pm wrote:
You need to access the Windows APIs to do things like that. This is a pain in the ass though, so there's a bunch of libraries available to make it easier. Have a look at SDL or Allegro for basic graphics stuff. I warn you though- it's pretty tough. This isn't Turing anymore.

So should I do those later when I actually "know" how to program? I just really don't like the look of command prompt, but if I shouldn't do that yet, then I won't until later Razz
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

The command prompt is your best friend right now.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:40 pm   Post subject: Re: Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

If I made a game and it ran through command prompt, isn't it going to look wierd though? Razz
Just wondering, how do I edit the size of the command prompt window?
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:22 pm   Post subject: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

In general, you don't. That gets into a whole world of things you probably shouldn't touch right now or bad things will happen.

However, just because you're writing it in notepad and compiling it in a terminal, that doesn't mean a terminal ever has to open in windowed program. The terminal is only there A) if you launch the game from the terminal or B) you read from or write to the terminal. If you write a program that opens a file, reads from it, writes to it, and then closes without doing anything else, and then when it's compiled you click on the exe icon, there will be no terminal. Similarly, if you write a program that opens a window and reads from the keyboard and draws a bunch of stuff on the window (aka, a game), you won't see a terminal window anywhere.

However, don't think you'll be writing games any time soon. C++ is a beast. There's a lot of stuff in it that you need to learn before you'll be anywhere near writing a game.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dreadnought

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:23 pm   Post subject: Re: Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Right click the upper border (where the minimize and close buttons are.
Properties -> layout
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Or there's that. I thought you meant changing the window size from within the program...
Panphobia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:17 pm   Post subject: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Runescape is run through 'command prompt' check out the game, I don't think it looks weird o:
Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:42 pm   Post subject: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

We're talking about a terminal window, not a command prompt, which is a very broad term.
Panphobia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:24 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Insectoid @ Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:42 pm wrote:
We're talking about a terminal window, not a command prompt, which is a very broad term.
yea I know what you're talking about, just I am saying what he said in his original question
Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:42 pm   Post subject: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

No, what you're talking about is not even remotely similar to what OP was talking about.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:27 pm   Post subject: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

If you use C++/CLI (which is a different set of libraries and tools again, same langauge) you get access to the CLR (.NET), which is what Visual Basic and C# use. You can then tap into all those libraries.

C++ is a crazy beast, and it'll take learning a lot before you can make something visual, which is why turing was created.

If you want to learn a C-style language without having to deal with wierd APIs, and getting things on screen quickly, you can use C#.
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: