Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?
Index -> General Programming
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:41 pm   Post subject: What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

^Title
Also, would C++ or java be alright for making iPhone or Android apps/games?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:27 pm   Post subject: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

iPhone apps are usually written in Objective-C. Android apps are mostly written in Java, but some other languages can be used, though programs written in those languages may be limited to phones running specific hardware setups.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:33 am   Post subject: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Android supports C and C++ through their Android NDK.

I've heard that Apple's Objective-C compiler supports at least part of C++, hence the convoluted "Objective-C++".
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:24 am   Post subject: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Additionally, Ruby for iOS -- http://www.rubymotion.com/

And the entire realm of magic of "my app is a webpage that's bundled with its own copy of a browser" that is http://phonegap.com/
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:27 am   Post subject: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Yeah HTML apps are picking up, because they run on every device without doing any additional work. There's also the option to use Xamarin and cross-compile .net apps to android and iOS, which means you can use any .NET language that is compiled (C#, F#, Visual Basic) as well as possibly using languages which aren't compiled but interpreted on the device (Ruby and Python) although that may be slower. If you were willing to do a little extra work you may be even to twist compile a little bit in order to make the Python compiler work on phone devices (I'm considering trying to do just that).

Using Xamarin and cross-compiling is a good alternative to HTML or native apps because you get the speed of native without having to rewrite your apps. Only the interfacing with the device and UI would be different, and if you use something like monogame (which wraps around either openGL or directX) the UI would be the same as well.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:40 pm   Post subject: Re: What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

So far, I only know turing and C++. I'm going to learn java next year so I'll probably try using c++ for now.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:42 pm   Post subject: Re: What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Cancer Sol @ Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:40 pm wrote:
So far, I only know turing and C++.

You know some Turing and a tiny subset of C++ Wink http://compsci.ca/blog/you-dont-know-that-programming-language/
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:16 pm   Post subject: Re: What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Tony @ 3/8/2013, 1:42 pm wrote:
Cancer Sol @ Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:40 pm wrote:
So far, I only know turing and C++.

You know some Turing and a tiny subset of C++ Wink http://compsci.ca/blog/you-dont-know-that-programming-language/

I know Razz
I don't even really know much, can't even make a game. I'm just trying to plan out things earlier right now Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:18 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

mirhagk @ 3/8/2013, 10:27 am wrote:
Yeah HTML apps are picking up, because they run on every device without doing any additional work. There's also the option to use Xamarin and cross-compile .net apps to android and iOS, which means you can use any .NET language that is compiled (C#, F#, Visual Basic) as well as possibly using languages which aren't compiled but interpreted on the device (Ruby and Python) although that may be slower. If you were willing to do a little extra work you may be even to twist compile a little bit in order to make the Python compiler work on phone devices (I'm considering trying to do just that).

Using Xamarin and cross-compiling is a good alternative to HTML or native apps because you get the speed of native without having to rewrite your apps. Only the interfacing with the device and UI would be different, and if you use something like monogame (which wraps around either openGL or directX) the UI would be the same as well.

I'll think about that later Razz
So turing would work too? O_O
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:22 pm   Post subject: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Quote:
possibly using languages which aren't compiled but interpreted on the device

This is against Apple's iOS TOS.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:56 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Insectoid @ 3/8/2013, 4:22 pm wrote:
Quote:
possibly using languages which aren't compiled but interpreted on the device

This is against Apple's iOS TOS.

So only Objective-C is allowed?
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:00 pm   Post subject: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

And languages that compile to Objective-C or whatever VM Objective-C compiles to. But yeah, pretty much only obective-C.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:03 pm   Post subject: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Not only Objective-C, as the thread above clearly shows. That particular point just prevents the mechanism to modify the source of the program after the app approval process.

That is, if your program can run arbitrary code, then it's a way to sneak in unapproved behavior/content pass the moderators.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:13 am   Post subject: Re: What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Okay then... I guess I shouldn't even think about making iPhone apps then Razz
Does android have any strict restrictions like apple?
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:18 pm   Post subject: RE:What languages does iPhone apps and Android apps accept?

Yeah Apple's TOS is completely ridiculous. I mean at what point is dynamic programming not allowed? Python is not allowed, Lua is not allowed, are simply commands given in a text file allowed? Can you have the following:
code:
create goblins 100
create kobolds 50
create dragon 1

Because's that's essential a scripting language for creating enemies.

Does anyone know where in the TOS it talks about this? Also wouldn't this mean that you can't build a browser, since you can't allow javascript, and even html/css (which has been proven to be turing complete)? Does this mean browsers violate the TOS or have to have some alternate approval? If javascript is allowed, then can I use javascript in my application?
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 23 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: