Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Mozilla and Chrome
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Aange10

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:14 pm   Post subject: Mozilla and Chrome

If it ain't Mozilla, it ain't right.

At least I had that impression branded on my face until Chrome came along. I have kept up with the commerce of debate between the different web browsers (mainly IE, Mozilla, Safari, and Chrome), however I have never given a second glance to any of the competitors for personal use - as apposed to purely academical analysis.

Now, I see it's only fair for Mozilla to be in the lead. I mean, the entire population should be given the chance to use Mozilla. Internet Explorer is plaguing the web as is, and Mozilla is the only antidote to the epidemic. Uninterrupted service and the ability to have more than five tabs open at once is a privileged, defiantly beyond the scope of the normal user experience and Mozilla can't be faulted for that. Furthermore, closed sources codes are not to be trusted; if there is a security flaw, everybody needs to be able to see it, and FireFox has known that since day one.

Annoying-at-best bugs aside, however, Mozilla isn't really that terrible. But Chrome is the divine right of kings. Slim, super speed, uncrushable simplicity? I'll have what he's having. Chrome smokes every competitor! I mean, standing in the middle of rodeo with a red handkerchief yelling "Come at me Bro!". And who can deny it? It's Google's prodigy! Multiprocessing, window's 8-like sleek interface, Google - what more could you possibly ask for? Surely you're okay with paying taxes after being blessed with that.

In reality though, Chrome does have downfalls and Mozilla has equipped its arsenal with some powerful tools. Personally, I've always sported Mozilla. But I've recently used Chrome and I instantly noticed a speed increase and more stability in my browsing experience. Honestly, it's easiest to qualify the two than to debate which one is supreme. I sorely miss Mozilla's downloading system (minus the inability to resume a download) because Chrome's downloads clutter - I know you're gasping for breath at that accusation - the screen.

But with the speed at which Chrome runs, and the stability it employs, I have to err on the side of Chrome. It's just faster.

What are your thoughts on Chrome vs Mozilla (vs Safari vs IE vs etc.)?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Zren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Mozilla and Chrome

Chrome for everyday browsing. I prefer it's Editor (F12) for looking at the pages elements (and editing on the fly).

Firefox nightly (portable) for specific things like bypassing geo whitelist sites (US only). While I do have the plugin for chrome as well, Steam doesn't like you browsing their site as a US resident, just to pay in CAD$. It's also got a fairly decent batch downloader tool.
crossley7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:59 pm   Post subject: RE:Mozilla and Chrome

I use chrome all the time with the one noticeable downfall being that occasionally it downloads some of the newer microsoft file formats with the .zip extension (.pptx, .xlsx, .docx) causing a bit of a nuisance of having to open the program instead and open the file from there instead of just clicking the download at the bottom of the screen.

I have used chrome for about 2 years now and love its functionality and the fact that 90% of the time it still works with sites that say they don't support it. Firefox would be my second browser choice but I have not downloaded it due to the fact that I have no need for it. IE and Safari bring up the rear in a tie of the mainstream browsers.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:04 am   Post subject: RE:Mozilla and Chrome

I have Firefox, Chrome and IE 9 all installed. I use Chrome for regular web browsing, and when sites don't work I switch to IE (because generally people make sure that their site works with IE). I usually use IE for stuff like netflix or video streaming, because for some reason it just works so much faster with stuff like that.

The biggest thing I don't like about IE is that tabs show up as different windows in the window preview thing in the taskbar. I usually have about 10 tabs open at the minimum, so that just doesn't work for me.

Chrome is quite awesome, and their automatic updating is pretty sweet, I don't know if you guys have ever read into how they do updates, but they get a RIDICULOUSLY small binary diff file and use that to update. They actually rolled their own to deal with programs rather than data.
alison12345

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:25 am   Post subject: RE:Mozilla and Chrome

i think that Chrome is the best however they have also some kind of problem like certain time you can't see the image like verification code in some sites. Except this problem chrome is good compared to other browsers.
Leo Crimson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:36 pm   Post subject: Re: Mozilla and Chrome

For some reason I've never really gotten around to downloading Chrome; Firefox is my most preferred browser cause of all the add-ons you can download. IE is just a last resort for me when all else fails.
Zren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:47 am   Post subject: Re: Mozilla and Chrome

Leo Crimson @ Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:36 pm wrote:
For some reason I've never really gotten around to downloading Chrome; Firefox is my most preferred browser cause of all the add-ons you can download. IE is just a last resort for me when all else fails.

Chrome's addon's (extension) catalogue is about as extense as Firefox's nowadays. The more or less major change being that things are less in terms of classical popups and toolbars forthe UI, and option more for injecting scripts into the current page and generating entire webpages. The good of that being it more or less killed off the excessive amount of toolbars. The bad being things are entirely reloaded for each webpage (I think).
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:59 am   Post subject: RE:Mozilla and Chrome

I've found firefox to be much too static and sluggish lately. Before chrome came along firefox was certainly the best browser, and I fought against chrome for the longest time, but after using it for a little bit I completely got over my firefox addiction. IE (in current generation) seems to even be better than firefox, I don't know what happened (I heard about a year ago that they were going to loose like 80% of their funding because google no longer paid them to set google as the homepage, so maybe that did something)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:06 am   Post subject: RE:Mozilla and Chrome

I switched to Chrome at the time of FF3.x. Chrome's UI was so much better that I never once regretted the switch. Then Mozilla went and copied Chrome's interface with the release of FF4, though only the general appearance. They missed all the details that made Chrome's UI so great (like putting the tab bar above the address bar) and just made it look similar.

I like Chrome because it's minimal. The design reduces the screen space required by the browser and maximizes the space available to actual content. Everything you need is there, and nothing else.

The only thing that really, really bugs me is that the address bar (omnibar?) auto-fills without requiring confirmation, so if I type 'comp' and hit enter, it will search 'compartment syndrome' (I dunno why; I've never searched that ever). It takes an extra keystroke to search what I want, instead of an extra stroke to search what it suggests. I'd rather hit the down or left arrow keys to confirm that I want to use the suggested search instead of what I actually typed. You know, the way every other browser does it (iirc, anyway). This 'feature' has caused far more trouble than assistance.

By the way, does anyone know how to disable this, if it's possible?
Zren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:30 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Mozilla and Chrome

Insectoid @ Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:06 pm wrote:
By the way, does anyone know how to disable this, if it's possible?

Privacy:
[ ] Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar

That maybe?
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Mozilla and Chrome

I've already disabled that. Doesn't help. I actually like the prediction service. I just don't want it to use the predictions without asking me first.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Mozilla and Chrome

Get the open source browser steals the code from, and build the browser yourself! Then you could fork the code, and disable that.

It's weird my chrome doesn't do that, not sure why yours does.
AntoxicatedDevil78

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:08 am   Post subject: RE:Mozilla and Chrome

Chrome Very Happy
CoonorHunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:41 am   Post subject: RE:Mozilla and Chrome

I always browse sites on Chrome, because it is better than firefox. It is faster. Many other browsers are there also but these both are far better than the others.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:10 am   Post subject: RE:Mozilla and Chrome

I heard Opera was good
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: