Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Isp Is Evil!!!
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
copthesaint

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:01 pm   Post subject: Isp Is Evil!!!

Is there a way to trick my isp to think something is updating in my internet browser? My ISP is limiting what I can download and the only solution to being able to play games like Dota 2 is to continuously stream large youtube videos... atm...

*CURSE YOU ISP!!!!*

Any help would be appreciated Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:13 pm   Post subject: RE:Isp Is Evil!!!

Wait what? Your ISP is limiting bandwidth if it sees activity not on port 80? That's strange....

If you need to have port 80 active, then you could write a console program to ping Google every once in a while.... You also might be able to connect using a different port for your game (not sure, might depend on the game,)
copthesaint

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:44 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Isp Is Evil!!!

mirhagk @ Tue Dec 04, 2012 wrote:
Wait what? Your ISP is limiting bandwidth if it sees activity not on port 80? That's strange....

I kid you not... They made an announcement earlier this week on my residence that the internet would be down for a while for "maintenance" However ever since, I haven't been able to play some of my favorite games... for some reason minecraft still works though. I guess my college will do whatever they think will save them money or bandwidth? Honestly though some times I need to just relax, take a break and play a game...

If you need to have port 80 active, then you could write a console program to ping Google every once in a while.... You also might be able to connect using a different port for your game (not sure, might depend on the game,)

Ill try making a program in c++ tonight*(Since its annoying as hell trying to play my games) to try this, meanwhile any other ideas or help would be useful.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Isp Is Evil!!!

copthesaint @ 2012-12-04, 8:44 pm wrote:

Ill try making a program in c++ tonight*(Since its annoying as hell trying to play my games) to try this, meanwhile any other ideas or help would be useful.

You don't need to write your own program for this...

On Windows:
ping google.com -t

Otherwise, it would be a good idea for you to figure out exactly what is going on with your connection and why. Randomly guessing won't get you anywhere, and could have consequences.
copthesaint

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:59 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Isp Is Evil!!!

Gandalf @ Tue Dec 04, 2012 wrote:
copthesaint @ 2012-12-04, 8:44 pm wrote:

You don't need to write your own program for this...

On Windows:
ping google.com -t

Otherwise, it would be a good idea for you to figure out exactly what is going on with your connection and why. Randomly guessing won't get you anywhere, and could have consequences.

You wish I was guessing, I opened minecraft in the background and join one of the servers and now my issue is temporarily solved. I am playing Dota 2 right now at 5ms ping Very Happy

Edit: that only worked for a little until mine craft consumed my ram... When I closed minecraft I started disconnecting every few seconds.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:57 am   Post subject: RE:Isp Is Evil!!!

huh that's really odd, never heard of that before.... I assume that this was done to slow down torrents? can you still get a good torrent download speed if you're browsing the web/playing minecraft?

Perhaps they want it to look like the internet speed is going fast when you use it, but when you're not using a couple common ports it assumes you're not using it at all. I dunno, it's very puzzling.
copthesaint

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Isp Is Evil!!!

Its annoying as hell, I can get torrents to run, as long as I am browsing the web and encrypting my torrent.

I think Im going to do what others do from now on and just go to the college to play video games...
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: