Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Returning to school for Programming
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Belsarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:06 am   Post subject: Returning to school for Programming

To make this short, I'm returning to school, but since I still have quite a bit of debt from my first degree I'm examining my options with a college diploma. I've only examined Seneca thus far, but I'm really looking for advice or further suggestions. I'm living in Edmonton, and NAIT is close by, but their courses don't seem to focus closely on a programming aspect.

I'm examining the Computer Programming and Analyst at Seneca (http://www.senecac.on.ca/fulltime/CPA.html) and the Computer Programmer course also at Seneca (http://www.senecac.on.ca/fulltime/CPD.html).

Any help with this decision would be great and very appreciated.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:41 am   Post subject: RE:Returning to school for Programming

returning to school from what program? Would you first degree be useful/worth credits in taking another university degree?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Returning to school for Programming

Belsarius @ Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:06 am wrote:
but their courses don't seem to focus closely on a programming aspect

"Programming" isn't really an academic subject that's studied on its own. Programming is often used to apply ideas that come out of sciences though.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:44 am   Post subject: RE:Returning to school for Programming

Programming is a perfectly cromulent area of vocational study, though.

I think all other things being equal, you'll get a better programmer from someone who excels in the academic world of computer science, but if it comes down to a mediocre computer scientist vs. a very good programmer, and one with academic curiosity, I think the latter wins every time.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: