Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Is my avg enough for comp sci co-op / software engineering?
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
tyuo9980

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:51 pm   Post subject: Is my avg enough for comp sci co-op / software engineering?

I'm not entirely sure which program to go to, but I'm leaning towards soft eng because I get an engineering degree upon grad.

Are my marks high enough to get into either comp sci co-op or soft eng?

I'm worried that my chem mark is dragging me down and decreasing my chances to get into soft eng, which I've heard is pretty competitive. Really need to get in co-op.

How does waterloo average your gr11 marks? is it a top 6 as well or is it just an avg of all your courses?

gr11:
english - 72
functions - 95
comp sci - 95
accounting - 95
physics - 90
chemistry - 80
bio - 85
comp eng - 82 (took in gr 10, didnt really care about marks at that time)

gr12: (first term marks)
english - 77
functions - 93 (will get to at least 95)
calc - n/a (estimated at least 95)
comp sci - 100
comp eng - 98
physics - 84 (will get to at least 90)
chem - 74 (teacher really hates me)

ECs:
Scored 126/150 on fermat.
I will do the euclid and CCC this year. Semi-confident that I'll get to stage 2 for CCC.
I'm doing ARCT piano and captain of the table tennis team.
I'm part of the programming club at my school as well.
Competed in VEX robotics competition internationals in gr 10.
Started a company and currently developing a game for Android. (currently in beta)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:56 pm   Post subject: RE:Is my avg enough for comp sci co-op / software engineering?

grade 11 marks come into play just for early admissions. You'll do fine ? it's a very solid application if you keep this up; though obviously don't start slacking off.

Try to objectively figure out why your chemistry grades are lower than other subjects. It's a science course, so even if the teacher purposely dislikes you, there isn't much they can dock points on if your answer is correct.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
crossley7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:29 am   Post subject: RE:Is my avg enough for comp sci co-op / software engineering?

You should do fairly well if you reach the marks you think you will get. But on the subject of CCC, being overconfident is the worst thing you can do before you actually get there. My friend got 54 on CCC in grade 11 and didn't make it in grade 12 and someone else I know qualified in 2011 but not last year even though he still wrote it.

I'm not saying you can't do it, but I am just saying it takes being smart, a bit of luck and having a good day on contest day to get there.
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:12 pm   Post subject: RE:Is my avg enough for comp sci co-op / software engineering?

You have nothing to worry about. NOTHING!
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: