Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer crashes(?) coming out of sleep?
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
ecookman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:46 pm   Post subject: Computer crashes(?) coming out of sleep?

A while back when I would put my computer to sleep, going to turn it on again (by pressing the power button) it starts to boot then crashes, looses power, and when won't boot at all. In order for the computer to boot, I have to unplug it and hold down the power button then plug it back in, and it will start up. I thought I might have screwed up a system setting in Win7, but after doing a clean install of Win8 - same issue.
Just updated and reset my BIOS (which I haven't changed from the stock set up) and still having the same issue...Any ideas?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:23 am   Post subject: RE:Computer crashes(?) coming out of sleep?

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. Maybe something's shorting out when you put it to sleep, and it doesn't reset until you disconnect the power and discharge the capacitors (iirc, that's what holding the power button does). I'm guessing your mobo is dead or dying.
ecookman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:47 am   Post subject: RE:Computer crashes(?) coming out of sleep?

Just checked all of the connections on the mobo - tis all fine, know of any troubleshooting I can do to see what component is? Bit of a piss off since I built this computer in July.

(Inside computer, as you can see, I really like clean builds http://dl.dropbox.com/u/104304115/DSCF1074.JPG )
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:38 am   Post subject: RE:Computer crashes(?) coming out of sleep?

That *is* a very neat build. My question is, what the hell is that on your CMOS battery (below and to the left of the CPU fan, above "Display Port")? It looks like it got blobbed.

One thing I've found to help (and I have no idea how) with mysterious BIOS-level trouble is pulling out and reseating the CMOS battery. The only side effect seems to be resetting your system clock to around the time the motherboard was manufactured, but it has three times fixed bizarre boot-time errors my friends have experienced.
ecookman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:30 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer crashes(?) coming out of sleep?

glare lol, I'm heading home for the weekend, so i wont be able to touch it until Sunday (yay dirtbiking)...think re-flashing would be advantageous as well?
ecookman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:42 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer crashes(?) coming out of sleep?

Worked like a charm - never would have thought of that, thanks a million!
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer crashes(?) coming out of sleep?

What, the battery thing? Easily the weirdest fix I've ever heard of, but if it works I can't complain.
ecookman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:36 am   Post subject: RE:Computer crashes(?) coming out of sleep?

Ok, appeared to work for a few hours....(CMOS battery)

leaving the computer overnight though..... had to disconnect power to boot it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
goru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:21 am   Post subject: Re: Computer crashes(?) coming out of sleep?

ecookman @ Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:46 pm wrote:
A while back when I would put my computer to sleep, going to turn it on again (by pressing the power button) it starts to boot then crashes, looses power, and when won't boot at all. In order for the computer to boot, I have to unplug it and hold down the power button then plug it back in, and it will start up. I thought I might have screwed up a system setting in Win7, but after doing a clean install of Win8 - same issue.
Just updated and reset my BIOS (which I haven't changed from the stock set up) and still having the same issue...Any ideas?

I think that while you were pressing your computer power button then might be some windows file crashed. when it started to log on then might the problem began. Did you do any tasks and did not finish that task before shut down the PC.
you can re-setup the OS hope it will helpful for you.
ecookman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:47 pm   Post subject: Re: Computer crashes(?) coming out of sleep?

goru @ Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:21 am wrote:

I think that while you were pressing your computer power button then might be some windows file crashed. when it started to log on then might the problem began. Did you do any tasks and did not finish that task before shut down the PC.
you can re-setup the OS hope it will helpful for you.

Did you read my post? LOL I did a clean install of win 8 and still had the issue

I sent in the mobo for an RMA.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: