Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [Q] Inexpensive University for International Student?
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
100nandoo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:47 pm   Post subject: [Q] Inexpensive University for International Student?

I've been thinking to study Computer Science in Canada, but I'm not from there.
Actually I'm Indonesian

What University should I go? I want to go to university which not expensive and has a good quality.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:28 am   Post subject: RE:[Q] Inexpensive University for International Student?

Ignoring quality for the moment, most Canadian universities will charge Canadian students $2500/term (4 months) to $6000/term for a Computer Science program. Some colleges charge less, but that's usually for "Computer Programming", which is a lesser program (though still completely acceptable, depending on what you want to do). A degree in computer science will usually take 4 years (8 terms).

Tuition for international students is roughly double the above, because the Canadian government subsidizes only Canadian students.

Textbooks will probably cost around $300/term to $500/term. If you are lucky, your professors will distribute course notes for around $25/course/term, but many will not.

In addition, you will have to pay considerable living expenses. Rent is usually around $500/month for a room with shared kitchen, bathroom and laundry, though it varies wildly depending on location and exactly where you choose to live. Food will probably cost a similar amount, though it will cost more if you eat at restaurants. If you get into residence at a university, that will cost a fair bit less (but cannot be guaranteed).

If this adds up to something that's in your price range, then great, please let others recommend good universities to you.

If this isn't in your price range, then I'm sorry to hear that: I believe education should be free for everyone. You may be eligible for scholarships, but they can be rare and difficult to get.

I won't remark on quality.
100nandoo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:31 am   Post subject: Re: [Q] Inexpensive University for International Student?

Thanks four your opinion. I think it's not in my price range.

Could I do part time job when I'm studying in the University?
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:02 am   Post subject: RE:[Q] Inexpensive University for International Student?

It is possible to work while studying, but adding a job to full-time studies (especially in a fairly challenging topic, like Computer Science) is a huge workload. You would have to be very dedicated to succeed. It's not impossible, but it would involve working (either job or studies) for upwards of 60 hours / week, every week, for most of the term. You would also have to be able to negotiate with your job for time off to write exams, which are often scheduled outside regular class time.

What is more possible is a summer job, or co-op. For most universities, there are 2 terms per year (Fall and Winter, or Fall and Spring), which are generally September-December and January-April. If you can get a summer job, that can pay a fair portion of your university costs (though you have to account for rent and food during those months). A job in the field (computer programming or similar) can pay upwards of $8000 over a 4-month summer, but there is a lot of competition for those positions. Lesser jobs are more plentiful, but will only pay about half as much (food service, janitor, etc).

Some universities (notably the University of Waterloo) have "co-op" versions of some programs, most commonly Computer Science. What happens is that you alternate "study term" and "work term", and during study term A, the university helps you find a job for work term B. Most of the jobs found through the co-op program are in the same general field as you study, and will pay very well (often over $10000 over a 4-month work term for computer programmers). However, the co-op program costs slightly more, and will take longer to finish (5+ real-time years spent; it is the same number of study terms but they are more spread-out).

Going to university in Canada is very expensive, even for Canadians (who pay around half what you would), and leaves many students with huge debts. There are many assistance (scholarship, bursary, student loans) systems in place to help people. For example, if you attend the University of Waterloo, you would start here: https://uwaterloo.ca/student-awards-financial-aid/ and maybe look at https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal
rdrake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:09 am   Post subject: RE:[Q] Inexpensive University for International Student?

The Government of Canada subsidizes Canadian students. International students pay substantially more in tuition.

It is possible to get international scholarships, however.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:10 pm   Post subject: RE:[Q] Inexpensive University for International Student?

I've heard international students paying around $27 000 per year just for tuition. It's EXTREMELY (almost prohibitevely) expensive. I think OSAP should be much more flexible with how much they are willing to loan (and stop giving away free money) because even after you factor in everything, if you can land a position in computer science when you're done university you can pretty easily and comfortably pay back your loan, you're only in trouble if you can't get a job in your field.

One thing I would add is that as an international student you are at a huge disadvantage to getting co-op positions and jobs for summer. Communication is critical in computer science, and as such native speakers are usually preferred to non-native speakers. Make sure your English is very good (this will probably add additional stress/time as you need to master English, and not being a native speaker will be difficult).

I'm not sure what your experience with English is, but I do know from experience that grammar such as the your original post will make it difficult to get a position.

One big suggestion for getting your English up to speed is to make native English speakers as friends, and convince them to jump all over every mistake you make. It may get annoying, but you'll learn pretty quickly, and will be able to pick up on English.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:28 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:[Q] Inexpensive University for International Student?

mirhagk @ Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:10 pm wrote:
I'm not sure what your experience with English is, but I do know from experience that grammar such as the your original post will make it difficult to get a position.

As far as I can tell, OP's English (while missing some articles) is still better than an average native highschooler.

There will be a disadvantage for getting jobs with the government, but that is a very small amount of jobs.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:43 pm   Post subject: RE:[Q] Inexpensive University for International Student?

Oh I 100% agree his English is better than the average native high schooler. That doesn't make it good, computer science students need to be better than average highschool student. Broken English doesn't cut it with discussing software, as any potential miscommunication is a potential bug.

Also as a foreign student the English will be watched more, so employer's are often much more critical than with native speakers.

OP obviously has studied English, and is much better with English than I am with any other language that's for sure, but it is evident that he/she is not native English, and there are grammar mistakes in every sentence, which would easily be obvious in a resume, and stand out.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:54 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:[Q] Inexpensive University for International Student?

mirhagk @ Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:43 pm wrote:
Oh I 100% agree his English is better than the average native high schooler. That doesn't make it good, computer science students need to be better than average highschool student. Broken English doesn't cut it with discussing software, as any potential miscommunication is a potential bug.

Also as a foreign student the English will be watched more, so employer's are often much more critical than with native speakers.

OP obviously has studied English, and is much better with English than I am with any other language that's for sure, but it is evident that he/she is not native English, and there are grammar mistakes in every sentence, which would easily be obvious in a resume, and stand out.
I see numerous grammatical errors in your writing as well.

I just wanted to note that most schools have employment services which will proofread your resume without charge.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:45 pm   Post subject: RE:[Q] Inexpensive University for International Student?

I really don't want to get into a discussion of who makes more grammatical mistakes, I just want to warn someone when I've seen tons of resumes (about 50% of ones received by my work by colleges) get thrown out because it's difficult to understand exactly what the person is trying to say.

Definitely get it proofread, but also don't lie. The worst thing you can do is have someone else write it all for you, and then show up and can't communicate effectively.

Completely off topic but my biggest pet peeve for resumes is when people put "Effective communicator" or something similar. Employers can find out your communication ability through resumes and interviews. I especially hate it when the resume is clearly not even proofread.
100nandoo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:39 pm   Post subject: Re: [Q] Inexpensive University for International Student?

First I want to thank you everybody for all of the responses.

Is there any loan for International student? If I get the loan, Do I have an opportunity to work in Canada?
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:30 am   Post subject: RE:[Q] Inexpensive University for International Student?

I can't comment about loans, but you can certainly work if you get a work permit (in addition to your student visa) -- http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

Quote:

The work permit authorizes you to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and full time during scheduled breaks (for example, winter and summer holidays, and spring break).

Part time work is competitive (because any student can do it), but if you are good at Computer Science, you should be able to find good paying summer internships. They might not cover all of the international tuition, but it will certainly help a lot.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
alison12345

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:41 am   Post subject: RE:[Q] Inexpensive University for International Student?

you can work and also study. Part time you can work in different places like restaurant. You can go to that kind of restaurant that will compatible with your study not only for your tuition fees also for your study time. you can check in various university that some of them gives scholarship.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: