Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Questions About University of Western Ontario
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 am   Post subject: Questions About University of Western Ontario

I am currently researching potential PhD programs for next year and was wondering if there where any UWO students here that might have some insight into what campus life is like at Western. I would also like to know if any one has any opinions about living in London Ontario in general.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
knowthyself

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Questions About University of Western Ontario

Dan @ Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 am wrote:
I am currently researching potential PhD programs for next year and was wondering if there where any UWO students here that might have some insight into what campus life is like at Western. I would also like to know if any one has any opinions about living in London Ontario in general.

I lived in London for nearly 7 years; went to Fanshawe College for the first three, then worked for a downtown software company. For students, London is a big party town with plenty of night life. Now, that might not be what you are looking for if you are doing phd studies, but the opportunities are there. The caveat is that if you are looking for some entertainment, most places are dance clubs filled with immature goof-balls looking to start a fight because they can't get laid. Most of my fondest watering holes were either tore down or burned down (or both). London doesn't seem to care very much about preserving old buildings; out with the old, in with parking lots and dance clubs.

But I can't say much about UWO, since I didn't go there. A good friend of mine did a masters degree there after his undergrad in Guelph, and he didn't like living in London. Maybe Guelph spoiled him though.

I'm not sure if that's any help. Let me know if you have more specific questions, maybe I can recall something else.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:17 pm   Post subject: Re: Questions About University of Western Ontario

knowthyself @ 18th October 2012, 8:52 pm wrote:

For students, London is a big party town with plenty of night life. Now, that might not be what you are looking for if you are doing phd studies, but the opportunities are there. The caveat is that if you are looking for some entertainment, most places are dance clubs filled with immature goof-balls looking to start a fight because they can't get laid. Most of my fondest watering holes were either tore down or burned down (or both).

Having the drunk undergrads off the campus doing there drinking could be seen as a plus I guess. Here in Thunder Bay, one of the bars most frequented by students is on campus and gets a lot of drunks stumbling about on Friday nights. Personally, clubs and bars are not my thing.

Quote:

Let me know if you have more specific questions, maybe I can recall something else.

Whats the down town like beyond night life? Would you consider it a generally safe city in terms of crime?
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
evildaddy911

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Questions About University of Western Ontario

living just outside London, i'd say yes, it's a fairly safe city.
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:18 am   Post subject: RE:Questions About University of Western Ontario

As long as you walk this earth you are "never safe" - They always have eyes on you. The government, the feds. But know this a great quote from a truly amazing software - "The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear". Go dark. Never go outside. Stay in a basement atleast 5m below ground level that way you cannot be found Smile Then you are safe.
knowthyself

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:56 pm   Post subject: Re: Questions About University of Western Ontario

Dan @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:17 pm wrote:
knowthyself @ 18th October 2012, 8:52 pm wrote:

For students, London is a big party town with plenty of night life. Now, that might not be what you are looking for if you are doing phd studies, but the opportunities are there. The caveat is that if you are looking for some entertainment, most places are dance clubs filled with immature goof-balls looking to start a fight because they can't get laid. Most of my fondest watering holes were either tore down or burned down (or both).

Having the drunk undergrads off the campus doing there drinking could be seen as a plus I guess. Here in Thunder Bay, one of the bars most frequented by students is on campus and gets a lot of drunks stumbling about on Friday nights. Personally, clubs and bars are not my thing.

Quote:

Let me know if you have more specific questions, maybe I can recall something else.

Whats the down town like beyond night life? Would you consider it a generally safe city in terms of crime?

Yep, downtown is generally safe.
knowthyself

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Questions About University of Western Ontario

And having lived in London for several years, I never experienced any random violence against me or my property, so that's a good sign. Though I do have a friend or two who have been "jumped" (mugged or whatever), but its just one of those rare things that have to happen to somebody, statistically.

Anyway, I maybe sounded too negative in the original reply. I'm sure there's plenty to like in London. Not too big, not too small. And I'm sure you'd be busy enough with your studies such that you would never do everything the city has to offer and be left feeling bored.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: