Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
xxxSepirothxxx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:11 pm   Post subject: How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

I've been wanting to do ENG3U this summer, as a summer school course, so I could take an extra elective for next year. Since English is my weakest subject thus far, I was wondering if anybody could provide some insight into what I would need to know for 3U and 4U English.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:20 pm   Post subject: RE:How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

Read as many (non-technical) books as you can until then. English isn't really as knowledge based as it is skills based.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:31 pm   Post subject: RE:How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

Why don't we start with your thread title? "How to do absolutely amazing in Gr. 11 English."

Once you can manage that, we'll work on the hard stuff.
Zren

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:45 pm   Post subject: RE:How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

Why is it your weakest subject. In the past, what was the cause of your low marks? What do you struggle with?
xxxSepirothxxx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:30 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

Insectoid @ Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:31 pm wrote:
Why don't we start with your thread title? "How to do absolutely amazing in Gr. 11 English."

Cool
Zren @ Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:45 pm wrote:
Why is it your weakest subject. In the past, what was the cause of your low marks? What do you struggle with?

Writing fiction stories & the doing the essays are what I consider to be my weak points. I have yet to receive any of my English tests back, so I'm not as sure how I fare on those reading tests (the ones with a short article or story, with questions in succession). I'm sure how I would explain how it is my weakest subject, but I do exceedingly better in other subjects.
ecookman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:43 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

Insectoid @ Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:31 pm wrote:

Classic Insectoid buzzkill - you should feel honoured.

For me what has helped is picking up grammar exercise books and going through practice drills. It really has helped me with my formal writing.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:57 am   Post subject: RE:How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

if writing is your weakest point, then do like gandalf said and read some non-technical books. You can also write some short stories for fun, and keep writing some over and over until you get good at it.

I'm not sure how to prepare you for essay writing because there are 2 types of essays. 1st type is something that sounds really pretty and makes persuasive emotional-style arguments, and count on manipulating facts. Then they are technical essays which stick to just the facts, and only logical deduce conclusions, don't make messed up assumptions, and only argue with logic and facts. The first type of essay is generally what schools want you to do (newspaper style essays) while if you keep going in academic subjects the 2nd type of essay is MUCH more valuable (thesis papers, published research results etc).

If you want to practice for the first type of essay I guess just try writing things like newspaper articles or opinion pieces. Also read through other's essays, political speeches etc.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:00 am   Post subject: RE:How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

It might be worth mentioning that the essay formats taught in high school are never used outside of high school. Ever.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:17 am   Post subject: RE:How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

They really need to teach useful English in English class, what they do teach you you don't use nearly as much as the stuff they don't teach you. Grade 12 English literally doesn't even teach you anything, it has the same curriculum, they could do something useful instead.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:57 pm   Post subject: RE:How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

Holy crap, did mirhagk and I just agree on something?
evildaddy911

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:11 am   Post subject: RE:How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

it appears he did. the secondary school curriculum is just dumb. three of my teachers have said (in the first month alone) that what we were learning that day, we will probably never use outside of a school
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:45 pm   Post subject: RE:How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

Just suffer through english, make sure you get good enough to get into uni, and put all this nonsense behind.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:48 pm   Post subject: RE:How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

How to do absolutely amazing in English... Don't have that attitude. ^
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:06 pm   Post subject: RE:How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

That's true lol, you gotta have a good attitude to do well in things. I didn't do well in English in grade 12, and it was because I didn't care.
Aange10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:31 pm   Post subject: RE:How to do abosolutely amazin in GR11 English

Maybe I'm an exception; I have exceeding grades in every course, including English, and I don't care about any of them. And no, I don't cheat. Want to know my secret?

Learn the content. All you have to do is listen / read. If you don't get it, learn it on your own time. More times than not it literally takes twenty minutes to sit down and learn something. Once you've learned something, just confirm what you've learned by doing the work.

If you care about the class, that's great; You will obtain a substantial amount of knowledge on the subject and you'll be able to move into more complex studies later - given you enjoy the subject much - and if you do not feel an attachment to your new knowledge then don't use it. If you ever need to use what you've learned again, it will be easier to relearn it. Don't waste time trying to remember every single thing.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: