Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer Club in my school
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:57 pm   Post subject: Computer Club in my school

As many of you already know or may not know. I am in my last year at school. I attend Vaughan Secondary School. Me and two of my friends have decided to make a movement. We have decided to start up a Computer Club for after school hours. We are creating it for two main reasons. The first main reason is that we want to get our school more friendly with computers and technology (It already is the most computer friendly schools in our school board), we just want to add a little extra to the friendliness. Second reason is just that I would really love to participate in some contests to put our school name back up on the boards. Last national contest we won was back in 95'. I have already inquired about it and the head of computer tech and the principal of our school are okay with it. Currently I have decided to install a version of Ubuntu in our school servers. I am currently developing a new distribution of ubuntu that should be finished by tomorrow which is when I will install it on all computers in our school (our school computer files and apps are all allocated from one server room), I will install it there and it will be on all computers. Even from GRUB. What are your thoughts about this? Also would this be a good idea regarding my university application if add it on there would it make a difference? Lastly, could anyone suggest anything I can add into what I do not have here already?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Club in my school

Computer Science (contests) are not about using a specific operating system. It's algorithms, data structures, and practicing enough to recognize problems as being one (or a composition) of a specific class of problems.

Yeah, it'd be neat to try out different operating systems, and technologies, and work on all kinds of computer projects... but you'd likely get more traction doing all that in the confines of your own lab/club. Forcing new things on people that don't know or don't care is just bad news.

My understanding of University applications is that typically you are better off being "well rounded" than being slightly more involved in this one area that every applicant is involved in. That is to say, it will certainly not count against you; but if your motivation is to improve your application with something other than grades, then there are more optimal choices.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Club in my school

Adjourned. Thank you very much!
alison12345

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:56 am   Post subject: Re: Computer Club in my school

QuantumPhysics @ Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:57 pm wrote:
As many of you already know or may not know. I am in my last year at school. I attend Vaughan Secondary School. Me and two of my friends have decided to make a movement. We have decided to start up a Computer Club for after school hours. We are creating it for two main reasons. The first main reason is that we want to get our school more friendly with computers and technology (It already is the most computer friendly schools in our school board), we just want to add a little extra to the friendliness. Second reason is just that I would really love to participate in some contests to put our school name back up on the boards. Last national contest we won was back in 95'. I have already inquired about it and the head of computer tech and the principal of our school are okay with it. Currently I have decided to install a version of Ubuntu in our school servers. I am currently developing a new distribution of ubuntu that should be finished by tomorrow which is when I will install it on all computers in our school (our school computer files and apps are all allocated from one server room), I will install it there and it will be on all computers. Even from GRUB. What are your thoughts about this? Also would this be a good idea regarding my university application if add it on there would it make a difference? Lastly, could anyone suggest anything I can add into what I do not have here already?

I agree with you. However you can also work out with some other operating system . such as Linux will be good.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: