Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Code Review
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Aange10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:09 am   Post subject: Code Review

I don't really want to do this, but I feel it is a step in the right direction and a reasonable conclusion to deduce after reading http://www.jobshadow.com/interview-with-a-software-engineer/ . Particularly
Quote:
What advice would you offer someone considering this career?

Write code. Write in any language you want, and then write in another one. Write code that gets reviewed at some point?even if it?s just a fellow programmer. Hiring managers at large companies see hundreds of resumes of people who just do the course-work. Being the person who does well in class and then does extra work will get you the job.

I feel I always tell myself, when developing "I could make this better/cleaner/fancier, but there's just no reason to.". And now I really question if I can. I doubt anybody wants to review someone else' code *yawn*, but I might aswell give it a shot. So You can find a Ballet program I wrote for my school. I got very rushed, only having about 18 hours to do the entire thing, but it is rather good. I will admit (and here I go again) I could do better on a few things, but this is still my work. The only thing that really bothers me is that turing wouldn't return an array with an unkown bound (though it'll take one as a parameter) so I ended up copy and pasting code to sort. Big No No, but, I was on my last hour and not much else to do.

Anyways, for those who didn't want to reading my giant block of text, or the giant block of code sitting surreptitiously on my hard drive, I have a discussion sparker for you; What do you plan to accomplish this year? Now what do you think you'll really get done?

Rains Ballets.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Rains Ballets.rar
 Filesize:  6.32 MB
 Downloaded:  211 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:58 am   Post subject: RE:Code Review

I plan to release a couple mobile games, but I'll probably only get one out there. Over the summer I took a step back from my overly ambitious projects (MMOs, 3D RPGs, 2D artificial intelligence heavy games) and started to lay out the ground work for very simply, 0.99 or free mobile games. These games are easy to implement the groundwork for, and so I can spend time on finishing up the game rather than just getting basics working.

I would offer to do a code review for you, as code reviews are probably the best thing you can do. Jeff Attwood (creator of stack overflow) actually cites some sources saying code reviews find 99% of bugs that would slip through traditional testing.

The only problem is that it's turing, and even just glancing at turing makes me flinch, so I'll have a hard time doing it (I still downloaded and I'll still try for your sake).
Aange10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:25 am   Post subject: RE:Code Review

Thanks for your kind attempt, Mirhagk.

That sounds extremely interesting, and I plan on working in Android a bit.

As for my goals for the year, I plan to learn Java enough to use it in competitive settings and hopefully as a source of income. I plan to learn C++ enough to be able to use the language and understand some of the paradigm shifts in it, however I will mainly use Java/Turing.

Yeah, I know Turing sucks sometimes, but it's so nice to just have everything right there and easy to do.

I want to get a job with computers, but it looks like it's not happening soon. I'm quite sick of my current occupation and I am ready to quit my job. I know for a fact I get an internship this summer for computer networking, but that's quite a whiles away and I have bills to pay.

My biggest ambitions are to win BPA Competitions, Develop Minecraft Mods well, and develop Android apps.

As far as where I think I'll actually be at the end of the day:

I'll probably not even have a job for a while, considering the circumstances. I do see myself competing for real, but I'm not sure how out talented I'll be. I can see myself making some nice MC mods, but I don't see them getting many hits, and it's completely trivial if I'm going to be making Android apps. Hopefully my ambitions succeed.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Code Review

If you're willing to learn a new language,you can use MonoDroid and Mono for iOS to actually release on 3 different platforms, iOS, Android and windows phone. In fact mono works on nearly every system out there you might want to target, including PS3, Wii, Nintendo DS, and Xbox 360 supports C# with XNA.

If you're in the Hamilton area, I know my work is actually hiring students right now, and we didn't get enough applicants.
Aange10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:22 pm   Post subject: RE:Code Review

Oh, neat. I am primarily worried aswell about how during questionings If I'm asked what languages I know, the only answer I can muster is Turing and Python. Mono could be another language; it's good to learn languages. But I want to be able to tell the people I also know some form of C (in this case C++) and Java.

Past just telling people I know the language, Mono seems like a great deal considering the compatibility for different platforms, but I want to toy around with MC Mods too. I know I could do both, but having a really strong hand in Java might take me a long ways.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:25 pm   Post subject: RE:Code Review

Mono is actually just the framework, it's open source .NET, which supports a variety of languages including C#, Visual Basic, Python, Ruby, Java (well sort of, support is kinda old) as well as others.

Mono/.NET is a HUGE set of libraries essentially, as well as virtual machine/JIT compiler. They let you do some pretty cool stuff, but you gotta pick the language you wanna use. The most popular .NET language is probably C#, and I'd suggest that, as it's pretty much a cleaned up, extended version of C++. Going from C# to C++ isn't too bad, you loose a lot of features, but if you stick to the core, older parts of C# then it's pretty much the same.
Aange10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:46 pm   Post subject: RE:Code Review

Oh, I see that it's a framework. I didn't realize that. Any devastating things to tell me about that ballet program?

And to the others reading this, feel free to pitch in your plans for the year too.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: