Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Is Cs enough?
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mar5000k

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:32 pm   Post subject: Is Cs enough?

Guys I have enrolled for a 4 year bachelors degree in CompSci. My Question is, Do you think by the end of the 4 years, Will I be able to write damn good softwares like Nero, Windows media players and even better off sophisticated softwares??? Guys tell the truth so that I change to another program when its still early.

I will do it online From USA.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:39 pm   Post subject: RE:Is Cs enough?

When you get your degree, you'll be able to make way cooler things than Nero or WMP. Of course, your non-technical friends might not understand why it's so cool.

If you're only going into compsci for the things you could make but not the joy of making them, I recommend you leave now.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:54 pm   Post subject: RE:Is Cs enough?

It's also worth mentioning that Windows Media Player and similar software are generally not the work of single programmers. There's a WMP team at Microsoft.

If you aren't interested in computer science, math, or computer programming, then you have no business being in a CS program. You will hate yourself.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Is Cs enough?

Do you like algebra? Do you like factoring? Basically all computer programming is is rearranging inputs to give you a certain output, just like rearranging algebra to give you what x is. Here's a test to see if you will enjoy programming:

f(x) = 3x^2 + 5x + 4

Does the previous make you cringe, or make you wonder? If it makes you cringe, get out. If it makes you wonder, download a compiler today, get a good book, and learn how to program. Don't make schools teach you (they generally suck at it).

If you want to know if you will be able to program take the following test:

code:

Read the following statements and tick the box next to the correct answer.

int a = 10;
int b = 20;
a = b;

The new values of a and b are:
[ ] a = 20  b = 0
[ ] a = 20  b = 20
[ ] a = 0   b = 10
[ ] a = 10  b = 10
[ ] a = 30  b = 20
[ ] a = 30  b = 0
[ ] a = 10  b = 30
[ ] a = 0   b = 30
[ ] a = 10  b = 20
[ ] a = 20  b = 10

If you can't solve that question after some basic computer science lessons, you never will, and you will never become a good programmer (which may not stop you from making some software, but you will drag others down, and never will understand the fundamental concepts). If you think I'm being harsh look into:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/07/separating-programming-sheep-from-non-programming-goats.html Research actually shows that people unable to consistently answer questions like that, or unable to do so at all, will never form a consistent methodology to do so, which is required to understand it.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:42 pm   Post subject: RE:Is Cs enough?

That's ridiculous mirhagk. You don't need to love math to love compsci. Sure, there's math involved, but excelling in compsci is independent of enjoying or excelling in math.

I guess that test is a good idiot-filter.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Is Cs enough?

You don't need to love math, I never really said that. I asked if you liked math, specifically algebra, and said that if seeing an equation makes you cringe, then you won't do well.

You don't have to love it, but you certainly can't hate it (especially algebra)
Aange10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:05 pm   Post subject: RE:Is Cs enough?

I have to disagree with liking math. I enjoy manipulating equations because it's empowering to know I can do whatever I want as long as I don't break the (basic math) rules. However, that doesn't necessarily mean I enjoy factoring algebraic equations.

I like the problem solving side of development, and the side where you continually see progress. I'm not tickled by intricately deducing a sufficient equation for a particular problem, rather, I'm more satisfied reinventing the wheel - preferably better too.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:28 am   Post subject: Re: Is Cs enough?

mar5000k @ Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:32 pm wrote:
I will do it online From USA.

Online from what school? (or should it be "school"? You've got to watch out for a pile of what is essentially an education scam)
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:32 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Is Cs enough?

Aange10 @ Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:05 pm wrote:
I have to disagree with liking math. I enjoy manipulating equations because it's empowering to know I can do whatever I want as long as I don't break the (basic math) rules. However, that doesn't necessarily mean I enjoy factoring algebraic equations.

I like the problem solving side of development, and the side where you continually see progress. I'm not tickled by intricately deducing a sufficient equation for a particular problem, rather, I'm more satisfied reinventing the wheel - preferably better too.

mirhagk wrote:
You don't have to love it, but you certainly can't hate it (especially algebra)

Again, I never said you have to love math, but you certainly can't be afraid of doing math, because computer science is essentially algebra, it's just problem solving and rearranging. If you dread math (like a majority of the population) you probably won't love computer science. You don't have to love it, just don't dread it.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: