Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Canadian computer science programs for someone from a non-CS background
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
thinkpad20

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:19 am   Post subject: Canadian computer science programs for someone from a non-CS background

Hello all. I'm looking to become a professional programmer or possibly academic, and I want to enter a graduate school in Canada and hopefully obtain a master's degree. I'm looking for advice for what schools someone with my background and goals should be looking into.

My background: I have a math and science background having studied physics in college, but prior to about 6 months ago I had no real coursework or professional experience. I've been teaching myself programming and computer science since February, and in that time I've covered a very large range of material, from beginning without even basic programming knowledge to now being fluent in several languages and having covered many fundamental topics.

My goals: Initially I was interested in research, which to a degree I still am, but after discovering computer graphics and application design to be really fun and interesting, I've since been thinking that that's what I would rather do. I'm most excited by fields like game design and animation, but application development as well is very interesting. A good fit of a program for me would be one with a strong graphics core but that also covers many fundamental/general areas of programming and development

Because of my lack of background, it's hard for me to prepare the kind of strong application that would get me into a tip-top program, but I'm not totally weak. I took the GRE test and scored very well on it. In addition I have a good GPA from a top-10 college.

So to wrap up, I'd like some suggestions for programs people here think might be right for me. Of course I'm not only restricting myself to Canadian schools, but at this point I would most like to live in Canada, and also it's my understanding that graduate school in Canada is much more affordable than in the US.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Ultrahex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:24 pm   Post subject: Re: Canadian computer science programs for someone from a non-CS background

A lot of computer science, and related technical skills is actually from C&O. For computer graphics it is a lot of geometry and phyics, but relatively multi-disciplinary.

Picking up math-based books about linear and non-linear optimization might help you on your desired path; or just well written math-based graphics books.

It is quite easy to read a large amount of graphics techniques in their original paper form also; as most are well written.

There is not really much sound advice I can give except work a lot, and read a lot.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: