Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Essential reading?
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Belsarius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:36 am   Post subject: Essential reading?

Hi everyone!
This is my first time posting, and I tried to find a similar thread before doing so to avoid clutter, but I didn't find anything that completely answered my question, so I apologize if there are already similar threads that I missed.

I'm in the process of upgrading some of my high school courses so that I can apply to a college IT program next year with a concentration in programming. During my year of upgrading I was hoping to get on top of some essential reading and make sure I'm prepared for the work ahead. That's where I need help. I'll link the webpage of the college courses that will be included in my program and hopefully some helpful people out there can give me a list of essential books a budding programmer should be reading. So here we go. Thanks in advance!

First year: http://nscc.ca/learning_programs/programs/PlanDescr.aspx?prg=IFTG&pln=IT-NOCONC
Second year: http://nscc.ca/learning_programs/programs/PlanDescr.aspx?prg=IFTG&pln=IT-PROGRAM

Also, I've already ordered Java, A Beginner's Guide 5th ed. by Herbert Schildt from Amazon. Just awaiting its arrival.

If any one cares to give their opinion of whether this college program's material seems like a good or bad choice for someone trying to get a job in a programming field I'd appreciate that feedback as well.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I'm doing this right! Confused
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:55 am   Post subject: RE:Essential reading?

Not sure about Java, but with C# I found it easiest just to dive right in, reading a whole bunch of the docs, and just looking at the metadata and stuff.

Then again I did learn another language first, so perhaps it's best to read a book on programming, then dive in. My suggestion to you is to find some program you'd like to make, and then try to make that. It could be a video game, it could be a desktop program, it could be a website, or even just a command line tool to help speed something up for you. It gives you good motivation, and a goal, and you will learn a lot along the way.

EDIT: And welcome to the forums, always great to have somebody interested in compsci join us.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: