Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Problems with IDLE and NOTEPAD++
Index -> Programming, Python -> Python Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
ihsh

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:47 pm   Post subject: Problems with IDLE and NOTEPAD++

I just started learning python (version: 2.7.1), and I have tried using IDLE and NOTEPAD++. However, both have quite major issues.

IDLE:
Everything works perfectly if I right click on a .py file, and select "edit with IDLE." A python shell/IDLE window comes up, with the prewritten code inside.

However, it's extremely difficult for me to start up a blank IDLE screen.

Whenever I click on the IDLE shortcut--found in the Python folder--a Windows installer window comes up, and starts "installing" Python 2.7.1.
The same things occurs again and again no matters how many times the thing has been "installed."

And if I directly open IDLE (at C:\Python27\Lib\idlelib\idle.py), a black command line screen springs up, and the python shell window only appears after a few seconds.

Screenshot:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.[/img]

Notepad++:
To run a python program in notepad++, I followed the instructions found here.

Everything works well, except that the directories for file IO become messed up. Usually you can just specify a file name, and the file will be created/opened in the same directory as the python program. But with notepad++, I have had to specify the entire path of the file for fileIO to work.

Does anyone know how to fix either of the above problems?

Thanks.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Zren

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:18 pm   Post subject: RE:Problems with IDLE and NOTEPAD++

Use PyScripter.
ihsh

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:01 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Problems with IDLE and NOTEPAD++

Zren @ Sun May 27, 2012 4:18 pm wrote:
Use PyScripter.

Thanks, I will probably use this in the future. Smile

But do you know why there are such problems with IDLE?
Zren

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:08 pm   Post subject: RE:Problems with IDLE and NOTEPAD++

Use the idle.pyw. That's what the idle.bat uses which is probably what the shortcut calls. The .pyw file extension will use pythonw.exe which suppresses the console window.

http://docs.python.org/using/windows.html#executing-scripts
   Index -> Programming, Python -> Python Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: