Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [Virus] Do Not Try at School
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TheXploder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:15 pm   Post subject: [Virus] Do Not Try at School

ok here is a virus I made it seeks for .exe files and mutates them into itself, though keeping the same name, and then deletes the originals...

Don't worry this is a very restricted virus it won't jump on you... just keep it in one folder, at all times. A fatal virus version of this would be to make it search all the folders and files, but I won't go anyfurther with this... you could copy some .exe that normally run for you into that folder, and see how it won't run afterwards..

NOTE: Do not use this against anyone, or on anyones Computer, other then yourself! Do not share it or distribute it!

UltimateVirus.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  UltimateVirus.zip
 Filesize:  4.62 KB
 Downloaded:  387 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Maverick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wont it harm my comp if i run it?
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thats what a virus does...
He probably posted it here not for you to run it, but for you to look at the code.
Though I don't know why people like to make harmful programs alot these days.
Its always virus this, or how to disable computer that...
Crying or Very sad
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

umm.... I haven't downloaded that file but its a zip file... which means its likely an exe because there's no need to compress .t files.... but its small so probably .t .. anyways don't need to zip a .t for future..

quit making viruses!!! arrrrgh viruses are bad you're killing the world a little bit everytime anyone makes a virus!

Crying or Very sad
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I downloaded it, it contained several files, including a couple of exe's and a source file.
TheXploder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

no it won't harm your computer whatsoever, 100% guaranty... it's a source file and it has special files to destroy there it's only allowed to destroy that one folder.. there might be a Possibility that I comes to life but that possibility is the same as you cutting up logs and thoughing them up into the air and that they magically land to form a house.. lol
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that could happen Razz

it sounds like an interesting virus, though I'm still not downloading it. also, its a virus and is therefore evil.
TheXploder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok, whatever.. It is useful when you look at it from another perspective It finds specific file types, which could be compared to 'file' 'open' and then you can seek only for one file type..
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Delta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wow... you guys are taking this complelety wrongly.... like ok sure its a "virus"... well he says it is... but most virus' are attached to something either in the code or program.... sure its a nice way to screw up your computer... but its contained... and of course we are here to create/learn... thats prolly why he made that "virus" program... see what you should do.. is make a folder with like 20 folders in it... have the program load in the list of directories, then a list of files that are in each directory (2d arrays), then go upon screwing up all files in the root directory.... make sure the program can't go backwards thru folders... otherwise ya... ex

root--
|--> VirusProgram--
|-->folder 1
|-->folder 2

and for little .exe files have it change like a couple characters in it (should make it not work)... and for the others... well you could just have it throw in random words/sentences/phrases... I'd do it... and let you guys test it... but then I'm be flamed prolly for making a virus that could(if placed in your root drive(ex-CSmile destroy your files.... but yea... do not make programs like this just to mess up ppls files or school computers... thats just frickin' stupid... do it to learn ... make up your own algorithms , sorts, and things that'll only increase your knowledge... hence... why we are here Smile
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

agreed it was done to learn. However, must we create a VIRUS to learn about the file capabilites of Turing? isn't there some less destructive way of doing it?

I'm not saying that his program is destructive, from what I've heard, its not and I haven't DLed it. However, it is a virus and viruses are bad. It's just fundamentally not good to make viruses, whether you can contain it or not.
TheXploder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok, see I did learn a lot out of it, look at this program without the virus part..
P.S: why change the file .exe itself when the t.file can copy itself and mutate into the .exe file to cover it's action up, so when you run the .exe file it's just the actual virus .t file (try to convert it back to .t and run it, same file, as the main one), hehe, that's a cool way of doing it, eh?
:

FileFinder.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  FileFinder.zip
 Filesize:  1.65 KB
 Downloaded:  249 Time(s)

Delta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And I suppose that you think hackers are bad too right... that they are fundamentally wrong? ... Well they aren't...most hackers (not counting the source thief... aka -look I'm a hacker lets boast about it and do something really stupid and get caught!) are programmers and have a wide range of thinking... most virus' come from computer programmers trying to do something kewl so that they can learn... this is not wrong at all... unless you use those virus' to damage ppl's property... any ways... to make a long story short... virus making is not bad, its a learning experience an awesome one at that... at least making actual virus' (the above program is not a virus at all) tho it could be mistaken as one... see what I would do is make a game... o0o0 lets say tankwars Wink and throw in some code that just chooses a random folder in your harddrive to start filling up as you play... or maybe a program that when you run it... nothing pops up... and you indeed think that it must be broken... but really its running in the background.... but still those aren't virus' at all... those are just harmful programs. Make them for you personal learning only... do not distribute them without proper warnings... otherwise your just dumb
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

how is it not a virus if it runs in the background and fills up your harddrive with crap? maybe its not technically a virus, but its a program created to cause harm.. Whether its used or not, whether its snuck onto the person's HD or not, is irrelivent. It is a virus that can cause harm.

I realize that creating viruses can be a learning experience, but I am still against them. Creating a virus is simply bad, regardless of anything.
Delta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Webopedia defines a virus as :

A program or piece of code that is loaded onto your computer without your knowledge and runs against your wishes. Viruses can also replicate themselves. All computer viruses are manmade. A simple virus that can make a copy of itself over and over again is relatively easy to produce. Even such a simple virus is dangerous because it will quickly use all available memory and bring the system to a halt. An even more dangerous type of virus is one capable of transmitting itself across networks and bypassing security systems.
Since 1987, when a virus infected ARPANET, a large network used by the Defense Department and many universities, many antivirus programs have become available. These programs periodically check your computer system for the best-known types of viruses.

Some people distinguish between general viruses and worms. A worm is a special type of virus that can replicate itself and use memory, but cannot attach itself to other programs.

so really its more of a worm I suppose Confused but still I wouldn't really call it one... unless you want to continue to argue about this... cuz I'm getting bored Wink
jonos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that definition does not say that a virus is necessarily harmful to your computer. so a program that runs in the background, and against your wishes can be considered a virus (say norton sometimes), so therefore that also would be considered a virus. meaning that cervantes could be against an antivirus program that you cannot stop when you want it to stop, but it is not doing anything bad, it is searching for viruses, when really itself is also considered a virus (by the above definition). anyways, viruses are fun to make, they show how much knowledge you have gained in programming, how you have been able to utilize it, and how good you are at problem solving. a virus could be considered just as much of an indicator of ability as a very complex game. im off to make a virus, bye people.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: