Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Which software should i use?
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
shrim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:18 pm   Post subject: Which software should i use?

I am currently in grade 10 and taking an introduction to computer programming in grade 11 and computer programming in grade 12 and also planning to take it in college and get a diploma in it. I was wondering what software would be the best to use i.e. Linux or Windows to download the programs on to. I was also wondering if their is a certain laptop company i should use i.e. A Dell laptop loaded with Linux or a HP with windows 7.

Thanks for answering Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dreadnought

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:05 pm   Post subject: Re: Which software should i use?

If you're in high school, I would suggest sticking with windows for compatibility (assuming your school uses windows in these classes).

In general, people who are really into CS tend to end up using linux, but you must realize that its much less user friendly if you're not sure what you're doing. Also, since there are fewer users, there is less help available if you have problems. But, linux does have some advantages like really good free C compilers (probably not grade 10 material). However, if you really need a linux environment, for a few tasks you can also use cygwin in windows.

The computer matters little in my opinion, you can always just install a second OS on your computer if you want.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Which software should i use?

If you want a solid, fairly priced laptop - get Lenovo.

If you want to learn as much as possible - get Linux.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:55 pm   Post subject: RE:Which software should i use?

Considering you're in Ontario and doing Grade 10 compsci, wouldn't Turing be used? (Windows only)
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Which software should i use?

Not necessarily; but even if he does end up using Turing, it could be run via emulator (such as Wine), inside of a VM, or have the machine dual-booted.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
2goto1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:06 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Which software should i use?

[quote="[Gandalf] @ Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:43 pm"]If you want a solid, fairly priced laptop - get Lenovo.

If you want to learn as much as possible - get Linux.[/quote]

I concur, I've had great experiences with their 14" T410 series laptops
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Which software should i use?

Strongly recommend Linux. I've heard people complain that "Linux isn't user friendly". They are almost uniformly people who have not Linux distributions designed for user-friendliness from the past 5 years.

Try this:
1. Go to ubuntu.com
2. Download their "live CD image"
3. Burn to blank CD.
4. Restart computer with CD still in drive.
5. Poof, now your computer is (temporarily, and completely reversibly) Linux. Play around.
6. When you're done trying it out, just restart and pop the CD out.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:07 am   Post subject: RE:Which software should i use?

And to be honest, if you're planning to be a programmer, and the lack of userfriendliness in desktop Linux is offputting to you, you're not likely to survive programming languages/tools.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
madfun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:51 am   Post subject: Re: Which software should i use?

I recommend Linux, it is user-friendly and also Linux GPL-licensed operating system is free to modify the software and use and even republish or sell it, you can download a single copy of a Linux distribution and install it on as many machines as you like.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:03 am   Post subject: RE:Which software should i use?

If your concerned about incompatibilities then you might want to stick to windows, but if you don't mind getting your hands dirty anytime a problem comes up, linux should be fine for you. That being said, I'd recommend a dual boot, using windows for day to day tasks, because certain things are a lot easier on windows, or simply can't be done on linux (netflix is a big one, games are another, the aforementioned turing [yes most can be still done on linux, just requires more effort]). Use linux to learn more about computers, learning about web servers etc. There's no reason not to have a linux install on your computer, it takes up very minimum space.

@wtd just because someone doesn't like something that isn't userfriendly doesn't mean they won't survive programming languages/tools. I can survive programming just fine, and can navigate in linux if I wanted, it's just usually easier to work in windows anyways. It's the same with programming IDEs. Yes I could just use notepad++ or some other text editor, but it's just easier using a syntax/symbol aware editor.

IMO you should be fully capable of navigating in linux, and doing anything you want there, but that does not mean you have to use it.
Zren

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 am   Post subject: RE:Which software should i use?

If your computer has way too much resources for it's own good, you could also:

Windows
+ Dexpot (Workspaces)
+ VirtualBox VM (Linux distro) (w/ Community Extras / Seamless mode + Common clipboard)

Then you get the best of both worlds. The VM is basically an extremely bloated IDE, however you still have all the tools Windows offers. You also don't have to restart your computer whenever you want to dev something, even though it will still take the same amount of time to open the enviroment.

The workspaces is optional, but I find it helps keep the VM and Windows separate.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:45 am   Post subject: RE:Which software should i use?

Actually the VM approach is not a bad one. And if you get a small enough distro of linux, you probably won't even notice the performance decrease. Although I seriously suggest investing in a multiple monitor set up if your going to be active in both at the same time. Even if you don't, multiple monitors are beautiful, and eliminate the need to switch back and forth constantly between windows (especially when reading something and putting it into practice)
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: