Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Sudoku Solver
Index -> Programming, Python -> Python Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Aange10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:24 pm   Post subject: Sudoku Solver

So I'm indulging on a project in which I solve Sudoku puzzles.

Here is what I know:

1) Every row must have 1-9 with no repetitions.
2) Every column must have 1-9 with no repetitions.
3) Every 'Box' must have 1-9 with no repetitions.

I understand how to check to see if one is correct, but how would I go about solving one? The only thing I could think of would be to randomly generate non repeating numbers for each row/column and run the tests untill a good combo comes up. But, that would take forever and is extremely inefficient.

So my question is:
How should I begin 'guessing' numbers?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Zren

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Sudoku Solver

Assuming you had a solvable grid.

All empty squares have the possibility of being 1-9.
Take the first square you're not sure of, and check each of the rules for all possibilities. It should eliminate some. Iterate over all squares with possibilities. When all but one possibility is left in one of the squares, there's your answer for it.

That should solve 'Easy' level sudoku boards.

Once you run through all the squares without eliminating a possibility that round, you will need to add more rules that build on the obvious ones and/or join the realm of recursion.
Aange10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:14 am   Post subject: RE:Sudoku Solver

Thanks for your response, Zren. This seems like it will be challenging.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:18 pm   Post subject: RE:Sudoku Solver

Extremely so, unless you use brute force methods. Actually it could be an interesting introduction to Prolog, you simply write the rules and it solves it for you (using brute force of course). If your interested you should look into it.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:42 pm   Post subject: RE:Sudoku Solver

I have a thought, idk if this is any use.

step 1. go through each empty element one by one and check to see if any squares are solvable.

step 2. if you've gone through the entire list once without solving anything, then look through the list for a block with the least possible answers (starting from 2, obviously). Then recursively create two new paths, one where you used one answer, the other where you used a different answer.

step 3 repeat steps one and two until an answer is found or until no more moves are possible.

Thats what I would try, anyways. There's probably better methods
evildaddy911

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Sudoku Solver

When i do sudokus i usually start off looking through 1-9 for each (big) box, then do rows/colomns. Then i go back over it again untill i cant get anymore #s. I then go (small) square by square looking for one where only 1 # can fit. I repeat untill the puzzle is complete
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Sudoku Solver

@evildaddy, try a non-trivial Sudoku, that strategy won't work.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Sudoku Solver

Actually, I just finished it yesterday. I haven't tried anything really complex yet, but it seems to be able to solve puzzles effeciently. You can take a look here:

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?p=257959#257959

It's basically what evildaddy suggested, but it includes recursion after there are no single answers to check each number path to see which one will work.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:13 pm   Post subject: RE:Sudoku Solver

I'd suggest getting reading an online article that explains tips to solve soduku. There are usually quite a few tricks that can severely reduce the amount of recursion you have to do.
Ultrahex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:52 am   Post subject: Re: Sudoku Solver

I actually wrote a Sudoku Generator + Solver in Grade 11? CS (Java).

Some of the interesting things that I still remember figuring out are:
- By permuting the rows in each block (e.g. rows 1-3, columns 1-3) in any order, including interwoven; you can produce all sudoku puzzles.
- All Sudoku puzzles do NOT have a unique solution depending on how many elements you 'hide' from the user (and in particular which ones)
- A combination of algorithms will produce the fastest solvers as some techniques are extremely slow while others are extremely fast (in practice).
   Index -> Programming, Python -> Python Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: