Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 I hate Rasberry Pi
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:28 am   Post subject: I hate Rasberry Pi

Well I can't actually hate it, because I don't have one yet, and the device actually looks pretty awesome for $35, and I have wicked plans for it. But it's back ordered and I don't get the one I ordered until August it says. That kinda sucks. I know they are working as fast as they can, but this is usually why awesome, cheap, charity like projects usually fail. They tell everyone about it, but then it's years before people can actually get their hands on it, so everyone loses interest, and the project goes broke.

What do others think is the future of rasberry pi? Will it be successful with a pre-order not being fulfilled for 4 months, and it probably being a year or 2 before they actually get to the point where you can get a rasberry pi when you order it, or will it fall to the side, and everyone forget about it before then?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:10 pm   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

All those pre-orders will allow them the scale up production in order to meet demand. Just deal with it. Every new product has a few hiccoughs.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:37 pm   Post subject: Re: I hate Rasberry Pi

mirhagk @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:28 am wrote:
But it's back ordered and I don't get the one I ordered until August it says.

Well at least you ordered...
By the time I got the chance, orders were already closed so I can probably start ordering around the time you get your Pi.

I'm really interested in this thing, my original plan was to replace Cable with this but considering the long backorders, I might just get this for fun and get the Vizio Stream Player for my cable replacement tool.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:35 pm   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

@insectoid, well most products you don't have to wait a year to get your hands on it, and usually back orders don't take 4 months. I mean with pre-orders and back orders, they have the money, so not enough initial capital to swing into full production isn't even an excuse.

The problem isn't something that exists everywhere (yeah sometimes products run out initially, but it's usually a matter of weeks to get back into overstock than months or years). The problem is that it's a charity thing, so they can't 100% commit their time to it.
md

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:38 pm   Post subject: Re: I hate Rasberry Pi

ProgrammingFun @ 2012-03-15, 12:37 pm wrote:
mirhagk @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:28 am wrote:
But it's back ordered and I don't get the one I ordered until August it says.

Well at least you ordered...
By the time I got the chance, orders were already closed so I can probably start ordering around the time you get your Pi.

I'm really interested in this thing, my original plan was to replace Cable with this but considering the long backorders, I might just get this for fun and get the Vizio Stream Player for my cable replacement tool.

Order one (or more!) now from Element14. You won't get it until june-ish probably, but you'll get it. I imagine that as teh number of orders increase the purchase sizes from the distributors will increase and thus the costs will go down (and more people will be hired to make them).

The big problem with the launch was that demand was at least an order of magnitude more then the size of the initial batch, possibly two order of magnitude greater. There is just no way to make any sort of distribution sheme seem fair with that kind of demand. The low initial batch size was due to the limited amount of money the Raspberry Py foundation had to order them but now that the Raspberry Pi foundation has teamed up with distributors who have deeper pockets I expect the supply to grow quickly.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:21 pm   Post subject: Re: I hate Rasberry Pi

md @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:38 pm wrote:
Order one (or more!) now from Element14. You won't get it until june-ish probably, but you'll get it. I imagine that as teh number of orders increase the purchase sizes from the distributors will increase and thus the costs will go down (and more people will be hired to make them).

Orders closed on the first day due to excessive demand. The only option now is "Register Your Interest".
md

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:20 pm   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

Hmm, I didn't realize that they had closed orders entirely. Seems they also raised prices which sucks.

I'm hoping that my order gets through un-mollested and at the price they sold them for.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:36 pm   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

Where did they raise prices, I just purchased on for $35.

The most annoying part is that I registered my interest, then got an e-mail from them saying I could order it now. To me that sounds like they are ready to ship again, or at least within the week. The worst part is they didn't say anywhere how long it'd take until I ordered it, I mean what if I paid for expensive shipping or something, that'd kinda be a waste.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:33 pm   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

I believe they state that they won't charge your CC until *after* it ships. The price increase I got from looking at the prices published on the Raspberry Pi website.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:38 pm   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

well what's the new price? I can only see $35 and $25, how it's been for a while. And yeah I know they say they won't charge it, but now it's going to be unexpected lol.
md

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:45 pm   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

$47 for the model B, as per http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/826

It does say they'll honour the lower price if you ordered before the costs went up, so looks like it'll be good for those of us who got one the morning after.
hamid14

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:03 pm   Post subject: Re: I hate Rasberry Pi

I thougth this thing was pretty sweet, until i read that it runs linux. If this could run xp or 7 (doubt it) with ease, then I'd think about buying it. Also there are other tiny computers for less than $150.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:41 pm   Post subject: Re: I hate Rasberry Pi

hamid14 @ Sun May 13, 2012 12:03 pm wrote:
I thougth this thing was pretty sweet, until i read that it runs linux. If this could run xp or 7 (doubt it) with ease, then I'd think about buying it. Also there are other tiny computers for less than $150.

What do you want to do with this that you need Windows? Linux is fine for what Raspberry Pi will be used for. Also, the cost to ship it with a Windows license is probably more than the total cost of the computer itself. Win8 should be able to run on this eventually since an ARM release is planned.
rdrake

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:46 pm   Post subject: Re: I hate Rasberry Pi

hamid14 @ Sun May 13, 2012 12:03 pm wrote:
Why would you want to run Windows in the first place, let alone on this?

There are other tiny computers, but $150 >>> $35.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:11 pm   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

A tiny computer is still overcomplicated. The point of this device isnt trying to make the smallest computer possible, it's to make the simplest one.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 51 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: