Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 dismal (new DOS type program for windows)
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
templest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
when i first did it , the video drivers didnt work and i had no 3d graphice , my sound card was non compatible and it was hard enough to firuge out what version i was going to use out of the like 50 bersions out there if not more

Yes, That's now. In a world dominated by the Microsoft monopoly. But in my scenario, It's not there. Every single company out there would commence developing in these new alternatives. And it wouldn't be long before automatic installers and universal binary builds for all x86 linux distros would start coming out. Not having to look for packages that are ment exactly for your operating system. Or having to find dependancies so as to compile sourcecode.

Now, You say linux is what it is because of the great open source development. True. But It's not improvement to Linus' sloppy code. He still writes the official linux kernels, doesn't he?

Linux is very much coming mainstream and you say that it "not very much ready for home use". Let's use gaming as an example. One word, WineX. http://www.transgaming.com <~ That's all you have to know. Pay a rediculous price of $3.95 for a month subscription and get support for any game that's released.

Applications, Wine. http://www.winehq.com <~ Supports most Windows applications. And if you have indepth knowledge as how Windows is installed on your machine (or simply directory structure) then you can copy all the original DLL's off of your Windows XP cd (and all those other system files) and make even more applications work. Without having to have Windows on a different partition for it to read off of.

And anyways, There are tons of different alternatives to windows programs out there. Not to mention various projects for windows that are starting to be ported to linux. And oldie but a good example of these would be Quake 3 Arena. Counter-Strike and various half-life mods has linux server versions for the games and I wouldn't be surprised if Linux versions of the clients (game) start coming out. If not by the actual company then from other companies licensed to do so. Not to mention games that are newly coming out that right of the bat come with native linux support. I great example of one of these would be PlaneShift http://www.planeshift.it you can download it for free, a MMORPG that is in pre-alpha stage that shows GREAT promise. Very playable, even now in pre-alpha.

Now I'm going to change radio stations on XMMS (linux WinAmp clone), because I'm bored of this music.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ur right! that game DOES look good, I'll be looking forward to it when its fully done.
jonos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

done already? i was about to break out the popcorn and enjoy the show...
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 18 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: