Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

What is your favourite game preferece?
(Voting is closed)
Call of Duty (any)
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Halo (any)
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Blizzard Entertainment Games
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
Gears of War (any)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Internet Games (If voted for this, state your favorite)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I dont like any of those! I play the games that i create!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Velocity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:21 pm   Post subject: What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

I just want to see which option people would choose...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:27 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

This is a very strange list. It includes specific franchises, broad companies, every flash and java game ever made, nothing, and everything else.

I play Cod 4 and Halo 1 in that list. I also play the Uncharted series, Doom/Quake series', Borderlands, and pretty much any game that runs on my PS3 or laptop that doesn't suck. Also Mario Kart. No specific preference. If the gameplay and controls don't piss me off, and the plot doesn't suck too much, I'll probably play it.

But a lot of games have awful plots, and worse gameplay, and piss me off quite a bit.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:32 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

I chose halo, but not for any particular game, but for the company as a whole. They have brought in many amazing features throughout their franchise, and they try new things. Very few other companies experiment with games as much as they do, but bungie really liked tinkering with the game, and seeing what different things made the game better and worse. I only hope 343 continues on the legacy.
Velocity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:34 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

i like your preference Smile exactly like mine. I put the general list because no one bothers to play any of the good old games anymore Sad You play Cod 4? I would love to play with you.
Velocity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:40 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

mirhagk, nice choice, i like the way you elaborated your choice, that is very true but with halo, i kind of think they are going on with it way too far. I thought it was going to be over in Halo 3, the final mission really made it seem like the end... the world was collapsing (2012) and then they made another one and now Halo 1 all over again but upgraded... I kind of think bungie doesnt really care about there consumers, only the money.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:40 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

On a related note, do you think PS4 and 720 are coming out soon? According to wikipedia, Halo 5 and 6 are coming out on the next console, while Halo 4 is coming out on the 360. If halo sticks to it's regular release cycle, that means the 720 is coming out in 2-4 years from now.
Velocity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:41 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

but all in all, its a beautiful gaming experience.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:44 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

Yeah, but at least they didn't just make the same games over and over. ODST was an entirely different style, reach kinda went in a different direction, and Halo 4-6 are focusing on the forerunners with a different playing style then halo 3 was.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:04 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

Quote:
I chose halo, but not for any particular game, but for the company as a whole.

If I'm allowed to pick a developer, Naughty Dog takes the cake. Most developers have some definition of 'good enough', but Naughty Dog does not. All of the Uncharted games have great plots, nearly flawless animations and graphics, brilliant innovative gameplay (especially the multiplayer in Drake's Deception), smooth controls and great dialogue (and hollywood voice actors to read them). They push every aspect. I dunno who heads Naughty Dog, but I assume it's a (slightly less temperamental) Steve Jobs looking over peoples' shoulders saying "That's not good enough. Fix that".
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:27 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

Allow me to start the war, where is Battlefield? The FPS game superior to CoD.

As for my choice, I play strictly PC for quite some time now and I normally play FPS, 3rd Person Shooters, Open World or something new and unique.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:28 pm   Post subject: Re: What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

Allow me to contribute... BooHoo Neutral BooHoo Thinking BooHoo

I did a double take when I saw COD4 being referred to as a "good old game".

Anyway, I chose Blizzard because of StarCraft.
Aange10

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:36 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

Psssh I chose Blizzard because I like Blizzard. Good developers, great customer service.

I wish Blizzard would buy out Nexon. Then I'd be happy.
RandomLetters

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:38 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

Blizzard, all of them. Except that really old racing game of some sort.

Other than that it's just niche historical games. A tank is still cooler than whatever fancy knife or gun you've got.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:00 am   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

As someone who's played the Battlefield series since BF1942 and the CoD series since CoD1, let me just say: what the hell, modern iterations of beloved series?

In MW3, they've somehow made the graphics even worse than they were in MW2, which are even worse than they were in MW1. The plot is disintegrating even harder, as is any pretension of making sense (Russia pulls a full scale invasion of--for some reason--the Eastern US seaboard, then within weeks invades all of Western Europe? Seriously?). Your squad members are still dumber than dirt; they could probably lose a gun battle with the storm troopers. For some reason, you still can't destroy buildings or drive vehicles, and the multiplayer is like paintball with cheaters.

In BF3, they made an incredible engine that was totally underutilized by everyone who had to use it. They render this lovely on-rails sequence where you follow a pilot up to the flight deck of a carrier. There, you see this incredible F/A-18 model, bristling with missiles and generally looking deadly. Then, in a move equivalent to pooping in the souffl?, they have you climb into the gunner's seat, for a shoddy on-rails flight experience. The whole thing is nearly perfectly executed except you can't fly the airplane, which is easily the most incredible part of the entire single-player sequence. On the multiplayer side, they released with the same ridiculous lag issues and terrible damage model that every Battlefield game since Vietnam (the first one) has suffered from.

If a new FPS game is going to impress me, it's probably either going to have to be an MMOFPS (preferably with realistic command structure, and a strategic game layered on top of the FPS play), or a game that takes you on an educational tour through warfare. There's a lot of incredible knowledge and stories waiting to be told there--we don't need to invent them. And if we do invent them, please let them be organic: let me be inventing awesome strategies against other humans.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:04 am   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

All of the FPS games are essentially the same. Sure, over the years (through the advance of hardware, engines, and larger economic investments) we got more realistic looking games... better sense of immersion. But fundamentally COD4 doesn't play all that different from the original DOOM from 1993.

Quote:

But Tony, DOOM didn't have the technology of chest-high walls!

Yeah, you can ask Yahtzee how unique and original _that_ is in modern games.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

It is incredibly narrow-minded to list 3 FPS games by title and then lump everything else into "Internet Games". Doesn't COD play over Internet as well, or were you talking about single-player campaign only? How about non-internet non-FPS games?

CaveStory+ is all kinds of amazing.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 58 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: