Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 HDD Problems
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:53 pm   Post subject: HDD Problems

My older computer, which coincidentally stored all important files, decided to die recently.
Said computer had two HDDs, one had 1 partition for windows while the other had three partitions.
In total, Windows only supports a maximum of 4 partitions so I wanted to get an enclosure for the second hard drive so that I don't lose all of that data (which I need urgently). However, an enclosure usually represents as one partition so I'm scared that the data might die.

Is there any way to get that data from the partitions? I could possibly attach to another computer by taking out its second hard drive but I'm scared that it might go wrong.

Thanks.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:32 pm   Post subject: RE:HDD Problems

Just plug it in internally to a 2nd computer, and then boot that computer up and copy all the files to a single partition.

Although the enclosure should work fine without repartitioning (as it's just a case essentially)
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:55 pm   Post subject: RE:HDD Problems

What if my second computer already has 4 partitions? Would I have to destroy those first?
OneOffDriveByPoster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:37 pm   Post subject: Re: HDD Problems

Windows supports 4 primary partitions per drive. You have another drive...
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:39 pm   Post subject: RE:HDD Problems

It should be fine if you put it in an enclosure. Partitions are managed on the drive itself, so they can be easily swapped between computers.
md

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:05 am   Post subject: RE:HDD Problems

Partitions are per-drive (and more then 4 are supported too - the limit is 4 primary partitions). If you put the drive in another computer it'll work just fine and you won't have any issues.

Check wikipedia for more information regarding partitions.
miami405

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:05 am   Post subject: Re: HDD Problems

If you are fail to partition your hard drive disk then you can take a little help from the an expert.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: