Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Comp sci or Soft Eng @ UW?
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
tyuo9980

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:19 pm   Post subject: Comp sci or Soft Eng @ UW?

I've done some research and found out that both programs are pretty similar, but with SE being more practical and programming oriented while CS is more theory.

I'm interested very much in both so the only other factor in my choice are job opportunities and financial success. Which degree would be more likely to land me a job at a top-tiered company such as Microsoft, Google, etc?

Also when applying, would Waterloo take into account my volunteer/work hours and achievements/personal projects?

Oh and I'll be applying for coop.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
crossley7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Comp sci or Soft Eng @ UW?

Same jobs for similar money. On their AIF, you get to include all that stuff and it is a part of your application along with your marks. It is basically as important.

I really don't know about the theory vs practical thing though. From what I have seen, the courses are extremely similar with the difference being the SE is pre-designed for people that are interested in software development and gives them the knowledge they need for that field while CS allows for a more broad knowledge of computer science. The practical and theoretical thing is a load of crap I believe, but would need some people that are actually at Waterloo to confirm it form me.

Sorry to jump on that, but I see it posted on forums fairly regularly and I have no idea where that statement originates from other than the name Science vs Engineering.
tyuo9980

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:57 pm   Post subject: Re: Comp sci or Soft Eng @ UW?

What average do you think would be an almost guaranteed placement?

Mine's around 90. Is that enough?
crossley7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Comp sci or Soft Eng @ UW?

90 will be very helpful, but if your AIF is really bad, you still run the risk of not being accepted. I read recently that they combine average and AIF into a single score and so 90 is beneficial but is by no means guaranteed. The cut off point is mid 80's for both programs so around 90 will be good chance but a bunch of extra curriculars and an 87 or so average would likely be weighted higher than 90 with nothing else
tyuo9980

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:47 pm   Post subject: Re: Comp sci or Soft Eng @ UW?

I have a pretty major personal project that I plan to complete by the end of this year as well as competing in CCC and Euclid. Hopefully that'll be enough!
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: