Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Girl Ruins Marriage
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Is it funny?
(No ending time set)
Yes
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
No
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
You're heartless! It's tragic!
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

Aange10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:20 pm   Post subject: Girl Ruins Marriage

Well, it had to be shown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyFmlP5CX0w&feature=autoplay&list=PL819A1D0B1E3253DD&lf=plcp&playnext=6
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Raknarg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Girl Ruins Marriage

Dear god.
Aange10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:40 pm   Post subject: RE:Girl Ruins Marriage

Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Girl Ruins Marriage

I knew back when they aired that show that it was a bad idea. The sad thing is, most people would have very similar answers to those questions.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:09 pm   Post subject: RE:Girl Ruins Marriage

I find it tragic, in that the polygraph test is bascily pseudoscience. In this case she may have actually cheated, but it would be very easy for a false postive ruin some ones life. Hell, I would not put it past fox to fake the allready questionable results just for ratings.

There is a reason we don't allow polygraph tests in a court of law.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Aange10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:23 pm   Post subject: RE:Girl Ruins Marriage

I have to agree with it being pseudoscience.

However, I only find it fair to point out:

Wikipedia wrote:

In United States v. Scheffer (1998),[50] the U.S. Supreme Court left it up to individual jurisdictions whether polygraph results could be admitted as evidence in court cases.

In the United States, the State of New Mexico admits polygraph testing in front of juries under certain circumstances. In many other states, polygraph examiners are permitted to testify in front of judges in various types of hearings (Motion to Revoke Probation, Motion to Adjudicate Guilt).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygraph

In Canada they may not be valid in court, but I just felt the need to point that out.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:35 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Girl Ruins Marriage

Aange10 @ 16th January 2012, 11:23 pm wrote:

In Canada they may not be valid in court, but I just felt the need to point that out.

From the same page:

"In the 1987 decision of R. v. B?land, the Supreme Court of Canada rejected the use of polygraph results as evidence in court."

If we went by US laws, they could just skip the trial and court system all together and lock you up indefinitely.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Aange10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:47 pm   Post subject: RE:Girl Ruins Marriage

Quote:

From the same page:

"In the 1987 decision of R. v. B?land, the Supreme Court of Canada rejected the use of polygraph results as evidence in court."

I read that too, like I said just needed to point out that the view of it not being aloud in court was not universal.

Quote:

If we went by US laws, they could just skip the trial and court system all together and lock you up indefinitely.

Why so? The main point was that you could call on the polygraph examiners to testify their results and "educated opinions on the results"
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
RandomLetters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Girl Ruins Marriage

I think Dan was referring to the national security laws which allow them to lock up people suspected of terrorism indefinetly, without trial.

But, I think the polygraph worked fine. It certainly detected "Do you think you are a good person" Razz
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:38 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Girl Ruins Marriage

RandomLetters @ 16th January 2012, 11:50 pm wrote:
I think Dan was referring to the national security laws which allow them to lock up people suspected of terrorism indefinetly, without trial.

Indeed, my point was that US law is not extactly a good model for what should be allowed in a justice system.

Quote:
But, I think the polygraph worked fine. It certainly detected "Do you think you are a good person" Razz

It's 50/50, it will at least be right half the time in the wrost case Razz

The show asks 21 questions if i rember correctly, even if we assume the polygraph is correct 95% of the time you are going to get about 1 false postive for every contestant on the show.

Edit: It should also be noted that this game show is a bit of a scam as you have at least a 66% chance of losing due to an error in the polygraph test (assuming that the polygraph is correct 95% of the time for each question) if you awnser all the questions honestly. If the polygraph is closer to 80% accuracy which may be more realistic, your odds of losing due to error jump to 99%.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:53 am   Post subject: RE:Girl Ruins Marriage

Well we can even say the polygraph is higher, because as you get closer to winning, chances are that you are going to get more nervous, more anxious, and scared. Those are the things that trigger the polygraph to say your lying.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:26 am   Post subject: RE:Girl Ruins Marriage

The participants weren't tested during the show. They took a polygraph prior to the show, and just repeat their answers for the crowd.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:29 am   Post subject: RE:Girl Ruins Marriage

ahh, okay. But still, the nervousness of the game would have some affect on it.

oh and at your signature: It's a trit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinary
ecookman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:24 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Girl Ruins Marriage

Dan @ Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:09 pm wrote:
I find it tragic, in that the polygraph test is bascily pseudoscience. In this case she may have actually cheated, but it would be very easy for a false postive ruin some ones life. Hell, I would not put it past fox to fake the allready questionable results just for ratings.

There is a reason we don't allow polygraph tests in a court of law.

They should have used an MRI if they were serious.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:42 am   Post subject: RE:Girl Ruins Marriage

Exactly what does an MRI have to do with lie detection?
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 29 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: