Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Your first cool program...
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:26 pm   Post subject: Your first cool program...

Can you remember what the first program you made was? Tell us about it! But don't post if the first program you wrote happens to be the last program you wrote, this is strictly for nostalgic purposes. Razz
For me, I'd have to go with a little something called "missile.t"
Unfortunately I don't have it anymore, and it was just a recangle labeled "missile" that flew into a blue rectangle and exploded, but seeing as it was the first thing I ever made before my compsci "teacher" even started showing us how to use put I think it was pretty cool.
A year later, it was followed up by "heatseeker.t" which was just as cool, if not cooler (it was a rocket that flew in circles around a smoking smiley getting closer and closer until finally it hit the face and blew up)

So what was (were) your first cool program(s)?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm my very first program was a slot machine I wrote in turing when I was in I think grade 8

the next thing that I was really proud of was a tank wars game I wrote in grade 10
ArchAngel16

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it wasnt called Tankz was it??? Cause if it was hail to the chief and you would be the CHief. My first program was a Trivia game which had scenes of a battle between Imperial and Rebel forces. One side or the other winning the skirmish depending on your answer.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Rush Hour Chinese Edition

http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?p=14572

This was suppose to be our animation project, but I did this. Can't blame a guy if he desperately wanted a game that can move along with the Kung Fu Fighting song.
Recoil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

still have it somewhere around here...

*5 minutes later*

Surprised i don't! aw crap! i was so proud of it!

anyways.. it was all text based (this was like in the first week we started learning turing, so... we had just started learning variables)... when it started up, it would say spacetron in green, and a period would go back and forth as if it were loading something (by using a counted loop and locate (count+x,y) and put " . ")

then it would go to the main screen... it would randomize a value of x and y, and you would take a guess as to where the "cloaked ship" was. it would draw a target on that location (locate (xvalued-1,y) put ({+}) " and then fire a missle from a ship on the left side of the screen (again, for loops and put " => ")... if you missed, it gave you a "getting warmer/colder" type response, and visual feedback (iirc, {X} for hit, {O} for miss, and something else for a near-hit)

you got a few tries till the cloaked ship uncloaked and fired on you.... ended up very fun and the whole thing was very nethack-esque, ( http://nethack.org ) and i really loved how polished it looked... so 1980's arcadey..
shorthair

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

my first program was definatly a program that said , ARE YOU GAY and had 2 buttons and when you went to NO it chnged t oyes , it was one of the coolest things i ever made and the only way to beat it was to click in hte box thats always 5 rows away from th emouse so you can never get to it. i tried for many hours and i even made an if statement just incase someone everdid get it.
Maverick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Mine was a happy face smoking a dubee. With the smoke animated and his eys blinking.
Skizzarz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

shorthair i made the EXACT same program as you as my first program it said are you stupid? yes, no, when you clicked on no it would change to yes and say "I thought so!", did u make it in VB like me?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Skizzarz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if someone tells me how to attach files then i'll attach it cuz i have it.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

when u post, under the lil text field, u see options and a large button that says add an attatchment beside it
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It was really funny , i let my teacher test it ( its all good cause im on hte programming team so he dosent ever yell at us for stupid things )
Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

a small ball controlled by the keyboard (didnt know of getch so u had to hit enter after each movement Laughing )
Skizzarz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

here is the program, shorthair is it just like urs?
Skizzarz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oops sorry here
Skizzarz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtf, i said ADD ATTACHMENT, hmmmm, sounds like the work of the compsci spector!
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 26 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: