Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Looking to buy a Tablet
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
ecookman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:24 am   Post subject: Looking to buy a Tablet

As the subject line says I am looking to buy a tablet. I like what Panasonic was doing with their viewpad 10 Running Windows and Android 2.2 - BUT its way more than I want to spend.
Does anyone know of a MultiOS/multi touch tablet that has WiFi and USB ports on it? OR can recommend a tablet that is similar with a single os.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:15 am   Post subject: RE:Looking to buy a Tablet

Just wait for win8 to come out- every manufacturer will build a tablet.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:55 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Looking to buy a Tablet

Insectoid @ Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:15 am wrote:
Just wait for win8 to come out- every manufacturer will build a tablet.

And then you will be obligated to do something about Metre...

You should have gotten a Touchpad when they dropped in price (too late now) Wink
Insectoid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:13 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking to buy a Tablet

Quote:
And then you will be obligated to do something about Metre...

I assume you meant Metro. I don't like the look of it, but I wanna use it a couple'o times before forming a real opinion. Win8 is a tablet OS (yeah, I know it's supposed to be a hybrid). It will have the best support next to Apple's tablets, due to running PC applications and being Microsoft. Android support is anywhere from great to non-existent even on phones, depending on the brand & carrier. WebOS is dead (well, not quite but its future looks bleak).

Wait, this isn't a tablet debate! Back on topic...

Quote:

Does anyone know of a MultiOS/multi touch tablet that has WiFi and USB ports on it?

I'm pretty sure such a thing does not yet exist, except for early tablets that are just netbooks running Windows with flip-around screens. MultiOS? Nope- so far everyone tablet's on a proprietary OS, or Android. Multi-touch? Only Apple has the quality and integration of multi-touch worth considering. Most tablets have a wifi model, and USB ports.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:41 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking to buy a Tablet

You could build your own Android tablet with multitouch (and whatever other hardware you can stick into the device). http://martin.drashkov.com/2011/09/android-megapad-23-android-tablet-for.html
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:36 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Looking to buy a Tablet

Insectoid wrote:

I assume you meant Metro. I don't like the look of it, but I wanna use it a couple'o times before forming a real opinion. Win8 is a tablet OS (yeah, I know it's supposed to be a hybrid). It will have the best support next to Apple's tablets, due to running PC applications and being Microsoft. Android support is anywhere from great to non-existent even on phones, depending on the brand & carrier. WebOS is dead (well, not quite but its future looks bleak).

Yes, I meant Metro (and I say that after using it). While there are some cool features, it's not very clicky clicky friendly (don't ask) and even a little cluttered for tablets.
Windows 8 will have very good support, yes...but not all of that will be for the Metro end of the story.

BTW, check out this analysis of Windows 8 for desktops (I know this is a tablet debate, so I'll get back on topic now).

As for the Touchpad, I did not intend webOS but Android dual booting.

Tony @ Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:41 pm wrote:
You could build your own Android tablet with multitouch (and whatever other hardware you can stick into the device). http://martin.drashkov.com/2011/09/android-megapad-23-android-tablet-for.html

Really? First one was shunned for not building their own PC and now, soon, for not building our own tablets. Razz

I would conclude that a Windows 8 tablet is a good idea, but it would be even better if it was dual-booted with another mobile OS.
ecookman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:42 pm   Post subject: Re: Looking to buy a Tablet

Ive been doing research all day now with a few friends ugh. Ive narrowed it down to a few thus far.
Ive taken a look at Metro and Win8 for tablets and I honestly DO NOT like. Win8 devices will probaly be greatly overpriced and buggy for the first year or so as is any new OS. Metro *shiver* the UI it reminds me of the god awful Windows Media Center interface which I frankly hate with a passion.

I like things with big screens, hence my 17" laptop.... so it seems for the screen Resolution/quality I want I need to go for the 10.1" screens which instantly jacks up the price and I can't seem to find one that's under 499.99. The few that I am liking the most at the moment are the:
Lenovo IdeaPad K1
Toshiba Thrive ---They're laptops are rubbish... are their tablets as well?
Archos G9/101 [http://www.archos.com/products/gen9/archos_80g9/features.html?country=us&lang=en] the 80 and 101 are the same just screen size is different
Motorola Xoom
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Im kinda liking them all the same amount. Some more than others but not liking them at the same time.... like I've ALWAYS loved Archos's products ever since I got the A404... the G9 boasts the fastest processor which is nice and it had a 250GB HDD at first I was like whoa yes perfect but its a HDD, Disk Drive, how robust do you think itd be; furthermore do most tablets use SSHD's? hence the 16-32gb storage capacities? I'm just worried if I'm using it on a bus or walking. I know my laptop hates motion so I'm kinda concerned.

If you had to buy one which would you choose?

Edit: I am kinda new to the portable anything's I've noticed that some Tablets come with GPS, although it is not necessary it is a neat "toy" Would you need to subscribe to a 3g data plan or something to be able to use that feature or are GPS services free? As an assumption I would think that there would be a cashgrab scheme for that feature but that seems kinda wrong....
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:29 pm   Post subject: Re: Looking to buy a Tablet

ecookman @ Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:42 pm wrote:
I like things with big screens, hence my 17" laptop.... so it seems for the screen Resolution/quality I want I need to go for the 10.1" screens which instantly jacks up the price and I can't seem to find one that's under 499.99. The few that I am liking the most at the moment are the:
Lenovo IdeaPad K1
Toshiba Thrive ---They're laptops are rubbish... are their tablets as well?
Archos G9/101 [http://www.archos.com/products/gen9/archos_80g9/features.html?country=us&lang=en] the 80 and 101 are the same just screen size is different
Motorola Xoom
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

If you had to buy one which would you choose?

Edit: I am kinda new to the portable anything's I've noticed that some Tablets come with GPS, although it is not necessary it is a neat "toy" Would you need to subscribe to a 3g data plan or something to be able to use that feature or are GPS services free? As an assumption I would think that there would be a cashgrab scheme for that feature but that seems kinda wrong....

I'm actually surprised that you didn't include the iPad on your list (is it because of too much Apple control?)...they do have the most apps so far (and largest support).
EDIT: I noticed that you want USB ports, that might be the reason then. I think you can get an addon for that though (though it would obviously be Apple-overpriced).

Out of your current list, the one I WOULDN'T get is the Xoom. It's so overpriced for the stuff that it offers...haven't really researched much about the others except Galaxy Tab, which I guess is also good (though with the whole Apple/Samsung patent drama, I don't know what it's future holds). And not on your list, but the ASUS one sounds cool...

As for the GPS, most do require you to have 3G as they use Cell-phone-tower triangulation but I think that there are some that have satellite triangulation built in...you're gonna have to research that though. I have one at the back of my mind (or is that a cellphone?) but can't quite pinpoint it.

BTW, reading some reviews wouldn't hurt, for tablets, I usually read Engadget...they do feature side by side comparisons pic wise and spec wise.
Here is a list from TechRadar that you might want to look into: http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/top-20-best-tablet-pc-ipad-alternatives-690596
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:40 pm   Post subject: Re: Looking to buy a Tablet

• The Xoom was the only real competitor to the iPad 2 back in April when, in a drug induced decision, I bought my tablet. I remember the experience being quite terrible, though it may have improved with a newer version of Android.
  • Windows Media Center is very nice. I don't know many people who hate the interface.
  • The IdeaPad looks nice.
  • Any tablet, aside from the TouchPad during its fire sale, will run you about $499 minimum for a 10.1" screen.
  • Very few tablets support multiple OSes. I'm honestly not sure why you'd want this. Are you looking for an experience like the Motorola Atrix? Either way, your expectations for a decent price are unrealistic at this point in time.
  • GPS does not require a 3G or wifi connection to function, but, many devices have aGPS which requires a cellular connection in order to obtain satellite information in order to give the device a timely lock on its position.
  • You have awful taste.
I'd personally go with an iPad 2 if you want something that just works. As I understand it, you are vehemently anti-Apple so this suggestion will fall on deaf ears. Failing that, I've liked what I've seen with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1".
ecookman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking to buy a Tablet

I have been reading reviews but they all sound basically the same minus some some hardware alterations. I thought the transformer was+ a netbook at a glance but Im not really a fan of its plastic case...hm
ecookman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:16 pm   Post subject: Re: Looking to buy a Tablet

rdrake @ Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:40 pm wrote:
  • The Xoom was the only real competitor to the iPad 2 back in April when, in a drug induced decision, I bought my tablet. I remember the experience being quite terrible, though it may have improved with a newer version of Android.
  • Windows Media Center is very nice. I don't know many people who hate the interface.
  • The IdeaPad looks nice.
  • Any tablet, aside from the TouchPad during its fire sale, will run you about $499 minimum for a 10.1" screen.
  • Very few tablets support multiple OSes. I'm honestly not sure why you'd want this. Are you looking for an experience like the Motorola Atrix? Either way, your expectations for a decent price are unrealistic at this point in time.
  • GPS does not require a 3G or wifi connection to function, but, many devices have aGPS which requires a cellular connection in order to obtain satellite information in order to give the device a timely lock on its position.
  • You have awful taste.
I'd personally go with an iPad 2 if you want something that just works. As I understand it, you are vehemently anti-Apple so this suggestion will fall on deaf ears. Failing that, I've liked what I've seen with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1".

hm Thanks.
p.s Why do I have awful taste?
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking to buy a Tablet

In this context I was referring to the fact that you want a large screened tablet (thus a heavy tablet). Weight should be a huge concern for a lot of use cases. It may not seem heavy at first, but carrying a tablet around all day does get tiring.

I had forgotten about the Asus Transformer. A friend of mine has one and enjoys it. I'm not sure if he has the keyboard or not, but other tablets can usually use bluetooth keyboards.

Can you elaborate on why you want USB ports? Most tablets include support for bluetooth keyboards and other accessories. They cost a bit more, but look way cooler.
ecookman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking to buy a Tablet

yeaaaa weight doesn't really bug me, I'm use to carrying around 3 note books and 2 textbooks and a laptop. The transformer does seem good I'm just worried about the all plastic case....
I want the USB ports just to easily move files back and forth instead of having to connect it to my PC every time.
rdrake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:06 am   Post subject: RE:Looking to buy a Tablet

It's unlikely that you will find a tablet with full USB ports. Android has an application called Astro that lets you SFTP files around if you want. Of course there's also Dropbox.

Using a mini/micro USB cable you can move files back and forth like a regular USB drive.
ecookman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:10 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Looking to buy a Tablet

rdrake @ Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:06 am wrote:
It's unlikely that you will find a tablet with full USB ports. Android has an application called Astro that lets you SFTP files around if you want. Of course there's also Dropbox.

Using a mini/micro USB cable you can move files back and forth like a regular USB drive.

Interesting.... I guess they're not needed then. Thanks.

Edit - after watching/reading reviews all day, Ive decided on the Asus Transformer. Now I just have to wait for the price to drop a bit Laughing
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: